Release groups

For this question, I will refer to the specific example that prompted it:

Now there are two releases under this. One is a mixtape, and the other a commercial version of the release. This is also the case on volume 2, which I have removed the mixtape reference from as it differs. The release group is being shared currently as type Album -> Mixtape/Street. This is correct in my opinion for the 17 recording release. However, for the 13 recording release, I would not consider that of sub type Mixtape/Street.

So my question… since a release group forces a clarification, should a second release group be made for the second one? To call both Mixtape/Street is wrong, but to call both “not Mixtape/Street” is also wrong.

What is the recommendation for cases like this? It is actually a bit more common than just this one case. Any and all comments are desired, but if there is a auto-editor, or many, that can being some definitive clarity, that would be ideal.

I’m OK with a commercial release having the mixtape type set. For example, Drake’s If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late

1 Like

Thanks for the input. So, you would suggest then changing vol 2 to Mixtape/Street and adding the actual mixtape version in the same group as the commercial release?

Yes, but my definition of a mixtape may be different from yours (and others). I came to MBz from Discogs, and I still find myself thinking in their definitions for things. On Discogs something would be classified as a mixtape if it’s

1. Mentioned on the release
  2. Declared by the artist
  3. Generally regarded as such by independent sources (fan sites, music industry publications etc).

By comparison Mixtape/Street is described in the MBz docs as…

Promotional in nature (but not necessarily free), mixtapes and street albums are often released by artists to promote new artists, or upcoming studio albums by prominent artists. They are also sometimes used to keep fans’ attention between studio releases and are most common in rap & hip hop genres. They are often not sanctioned by the artist’s label, may lack proper sample or song clearances and vary widely in production and recording quality. While mixtapes are generally DJ-mixed, they are distinct from commercial DJ mixes (which are usually deemed compilations) and are defined by having a significant proportion of new material, including original production or original vocals over top of other artists’ instrumentals. They are distinct from demos in that they are designed for release directly to the public and fans; not to labels.

Thanks again for the comments and useful supporting information. Unfortunately, you have given fuel to the fire that is my question. I do not mean that negatively, but that is the exact case. The “mixtape” version does in fact have more material than the commercial version of the release. Which just brings me back to believing it might require a separate release group, since a release group is not designed to handle both.

1 Like

This seems to fit the definition of a mixtape in the documentation.
It is easy to create a new release group and move releases to this new release group.
If you think there should be 2 release groups with a mixtape version and an album version go ahead.
Just ensure you leave evidence on what you did by putting an annotation explaining why there are 2 release groups for when the next person comes along and wonders why it was done that way.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I am asking is what do others think? Should it be in the same group, or separated groups? My instincts tell me to separate them, but I also do see the other side of it, it is like a standard vs deluxe version of the release. The issue here is the release group specifications create the problem. If the subtype were to be on the release vs the group, there would be no question here. But, that is not the case.