@zag2me : MetaBrainz is in the process to improve those things, and many of the recommandations on the blog post will be implemented.
Here are our plans:
- improve the way we currently rate limit, we are experimenting a solution based on openresty at the moment, this may be in place very soon
- increase bandwidth and use faster hardware, this is the NewHost move we're initiating, it should be done within next 3 months
- use much faster database system, using better hardware (SSD) and read only slaves
- split web service and web sites, this is a part of the move to NewHost
- web service version 3 is planned, api key and json inside, it will come later
About the web service, we are using all the bandwidth we can afford for now, and a good part is wasted by web service abusers, the new rate limiter software will greatly improve the situation.
About Picard, i'm lacking of time to work on it, so if some python guys are around... feel free to pick up few issues in JIRA and push few PRs