Plugin - Tag first recorded date

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone was interested in a plugin I’m currently working on to tag tracks with their earliest known recording dates.
This is useful for compilation albums where originaldate might not be the date of the song.

After files have been tagged, music players are then able to filter based on date.

Regards,
Craig

6 Likes

I’d be interested in that. I’d probably use earliest release date rather than recording date though (since mixing, editing, (re)mastering, etc., etc. that goes on after recording might significantly alter the sound of the original recording).

1 Like

Id like to see that or possibly a plugin which tags songs with their live recorded date (for instance)

With an album which has more than one date.

Yes, this would be very helpful. But I’m concerned the data isn’t really there for most tracks.

1 Like

Yes I agree. It would have to be done manually with each track and would take a LOT of time.

Sure. But it’d be nice for those that do have it. And would be a bit more incentive to try and get some of all the possibly duplicate recordings researched and merged. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve uploaded this plugin to github:

1 Like

You may want to submit a PR for this plugin at https://github.com/metabrainz/picard-plugins

1 Like

Awesome!!! exactly what i needed good job

Actually i cant get it to work on 1.4.0 dev7 thats a shame :frowning:

Is it known to work?

I can only assume not :disappointed:

I’ve been working on it a bit, myself (in 1.4, not dev); haven’t posted yet since I’m keeping my programming username separate from the one I contribute to MB with, and Discourse doesn’t make it particularly easy to switch from one to another. Based on the debug logs, the plugin seems to fetch the dates just fine – it just runs into issues understanding what it finds. As a separate issue, it doesn’t play well at all with standalone releases; it fails in such a way that their titles seem to get stuck at “[loading track information]” until some other update makes them realize that they do actually have that data.

As I said, I’m not giving up on this, but in case anyone else wants to take a look, I’ve written up my findings in a couple issues on GitHub.

2 Likes

I noticed you haven’t made PR against the picard-plugins repository with your plugin. Would you mind if I (or someone else) did this?

4 Likes

Has anyone used this lately? How is it working? anything major I should know?

Hi!

I’ve been looking for something like this as I have a lot of compilations or reissues in my collection.

AcoustID is really good but it identifies the compilation rather than the original release.

The date I’m really interested in is « earliest release date ». One can find it manually in the usual places (i.e. discogs, allmusic and wikipedia) but it’s really time consuming.

What if AcoustID could return the oldest release rather than the compilation? I wouldn’t mind getting the original album name and artwork. :slight_smile:

Anyway, good idea.

1 Like

Does it have the same functionality as this one https://github.com/tweitzel/beets-recordingdate

Hello, I created an account here JUST for this specific topic as I have a large amount of tracks I am currently working through and wanted to categorize/add their actual release/recorded year, and really REALLY do not want to have to do it manually and Wikipedia each one (would take months!).

Is this plugin actually working or is there something that IS currently working?

I came from the link Forssound posted from Beets because it’s exactly what I am looking for.

1 Like

Hi,

Is there a way to update this plugin? When I try to install Picard says it is not compatible with latest version 2.2.3…

Thanks!

It could be enough to edit the firstrecorded.py file with a text editor and change the line:

PLUGIN_API_VERSIONS = ["0.9", "0.10", "0.11", "0.15"]

to

PLUGIN_API_VERSIONS = ["2.0", "2.1", "2.2", "2.3"]

I quickly skimmed over the code and it looks good and I assume that should work. But kt could also be that there are additional issues and the plugin still won’t load. Just try it :wink:

1 Like