Please help me grab "recorded at"

I’m new to MB and the classical extension. I’m particularly interested in getting some data that is available in the data but that I can’t figure out how to get in Picard or other MB enabled software. Could someone tell me exactly what I need to do to retrieve the “recorded at” field value?

That’s the one I need most, and I expect that if I can figure out how to do that, I can then come to grips with other similar fields, like “recorded by.”

I did find some information in the documentation, but it’s unclear how I apply it because the instructions seem to be directed to those really at home with the data schema. I’m actually a programmer and am comfortable with such things, but the schema for MB is complex, and more so when trying to use the classical extension.

So if someone could encourage a new user by telling him exactly what he has to do (me, that is!), I would take it as a great favor.

Thanks
JS

im not shure what your after but have a look in here and see if it helps if your tying to use classical extras in picard

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I combed through the topics and it looks like my problem is that I don’t know how to request a particular field during a lookup of a CD. I see that the fields are available, but I don’t know how to receive them or even request them. I’m obviously missing something basic in my knowledge of MB.

So to refine my question, how do I use Picard or similar program to return a field that is not in its default set but that does exist in the database?

Thanks again,
JS

1 Like

in picard proving you have the setting that are available set to the way you wont them and classical extras installed and enabled it should gather that info from music brainz when you look up or scan a song / album if it is on music brainz. if you scan a song / album and it finds a match it will move to the right side. if you use look up then you need to pick the album/song you won’t it to mach to. if you have done that and it is still not working we can see if someone elese that uses it can help you. if you let me know

Many thanks again. That’s the way I’ve been doing it and I get a response. I’m using a recording that I know has the “recorded at” data because I can look up the cd on the MB web page and see it there. The only issue I have, is that when I scan the CD in Picard, no field shows for “recorded at” and it’s actually hard to tell what data is being returned by the classical extension and which by the native Picard.

Thanks again,
JS

np one way to see what data is being returned by the classical extension and which by the native Picard. ifs to disable classical extras if it has not been saved and run it again. :slight_smile:
maybe the author of classical extras @MetaTunes can help you beter then me. you may need to wait a bit depending on his time zone and other factors like work. in the mean time if you have questions about any thing else make a new topic and the community will try and answer it. welcome to the community

Are you asking about low-level data fetching directly from MB web service or you’re searching for some program with graphical interface and specific functionality?

If it’s about low-level XML or JSON data request from MB database:

(I remind you to not abuse MB resources! see also rate limiting)

All you actually need is (love and) API documentation. Read at least FAQ, rate limiting, about XML and JSON formats.
What you interested in is Lookups specifically Lookups->Relationships.

I randomly picked recently added recording. API request with “recorded at” data would be:
https://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/recording/ced4af21-b3b8-4c0e-a369-163ea056a637?inc=place-rels

Here is the list of relationships you can expect to fetch.

Examples page may be interesting for you.

Also (if you’re a programmer) the great side of Picard and plugins is that they in Python so you can just open files and read through it.

The Picard User Guide also lists the tags returned by Picard (both basic and advanced) as well as the variables (basic, file and advanced) provided.

2 Likes

Using the ‘View script variables’ plugin to check the variables of a recording, I don’t think the Classical Extras plugin provides such a ‘location’ tag:

(I could be wrong though, CE is a complicated piece of software)

Your plugin Artist Variables Plugin makes many more variables available.

Is it feasible that you could add variables such as this ‘recorded at’, and also ‘instruments’, ‘instruments credited’ ‘instruments all’ (as I requested in the plugin thread) to it so that they become available for scripting?

The hidden variables returned by Classical Extras tend to be prefixed _cea or _cwp. The readme has a full list of them. “recorded at” is not currently included, but I could consider adding it in a future release (just as a hidden variable - no more UI options required). Alternatively create a simple stand-alone plugin? BUT I am not sure how well multiple plugins that all call “register_track_metadata_processor” play together, so an extra var in CE might be best.

1 Like

Not really. The Additional Artists Variables plugin does not make any additional calls to MusicBrainz for info, but simply exposes information that is already available in the standard call that Picard makes. This would be more suited to the (truly awesome) Classical Extras plugin by @MetaTunes because that already makes additional calls for information.

1 Like

Thanks RD.
Back to MetaTune’s CE thread then :wink: