Picard woes

One thing I still struggle with is adding disc ids- especially a missing disc id for an existing release.
If I have the cd in the drive and the release on screen it would be great to have a button like the tagger button.

4 Likes

I didn’t do ANY disc ids :frowning: I suppose that’s something I really COULD do down the road. I don’t have to panic about it, like I did with the tagging. The tagging was VERY important to me, as I wanted to be able to enjoy my collection again, right now, like I used to enjoy it when I was placing CDs on the player drawer tray. Disc ids don’t really have any immediate benefit to me, but, should I (or anyone) need to (re-)rip a disc, they will surely get an IMMEDIATE identification. Shouldn’t they!?

1 Like

Yes, quite possible. Perhaps even likely if the tracks on the discs have the same recordings on them.

1 Like

That makes sense. I’ll try a few more over the next few days and monitor.

You can check the edit history of the release and have a look, and even ask the editor in a note on the edit!
A lot of people don’t bother to add new releases like you did, so it’s likely they just added the id to the only release they found. Even so, the disc id might be the same anyway.

1 Like

It sounds like you did the right thing.

It’s reasonably likely that a reissue will have the same disc ID. It may even be an identical disc (as far as what’s on the data/audio side). No reason for a label to pay someone to make a new master when they’ve already got one.

BTW: disc IDs are based only on the times on the disc—the precise track start/times. So sometimes completely unrelated, clearly different discs will wind up with the same disc ID.

2 Likes

But notice all the Bernstein Mahler 1sts are up top (that’s the search I linked to—“symphony no. 1” by Mahler and Bernstein ("symphony no. 1" arid:8d610e51-64b4-4654-b8df-064b0fb7a9d9 arid:fa39bc82-9b27-4bbb-9425-d719a72e09ac, the two arid UUIDs are Mahler and Bernstein—you can find it in the URL for their artist pages.) It gives 78 pages of results, but you only need to look at the first few.

(And yes, search here definitely could use some improvement, to put it lightly).

1 Like

To illustrate my problem (if I am being merely stupid, perhaps someone could enlighten me - I’ve read the help at How to Add Disc IDs - MusicBrainz).
I put a CD (in fact this one https://musicbrainz.org/release/204f546a-0381-4052-a068-20322925a2e7) in my CD drive. I click “look up CD” and the DiscID is not in MB so I click “look up manually” and it takes me to this page Log in - MusicBrainz
This just has general information. I know the release is in MB, so all I want to do is attach the DiscID to it. The only sensible link seems to be “Submit this CD using the simple method” - sounds great! I click that and I get CD stub not found - MusicBrainz
Now what? “Add disc ID to an existing release” sounds like what I’m trying to do. Click that and it just takes me back to the previous page - going round in circles now!
I can search for the release and find it, but the discID section does not seem to be editable.

I do the whole process again. This time Log in - MusicBrainz gives me a completely different screen with the TOC listed and the following “A CD Stub was found that matches the disc ID you provided. If the below tracklist appears correct, you may use it as a starting point as a new MusicBrainz release”. But I don’t want to enter a new release. Clicking “Search by release” yields nothing so I enter the MBID, which I know, but that doesn’t work either, so I enter the full release title - HURRAH I get the screen that looks like the one in the Help. I add the discID and finally we are done.
But seriously, am I going to do this every time just so the automatic lookup will work for the next person…?

It’s a bit odd, but once you’re at https://musicbrainz.org/cdtoc/attach?id=ON6Cj.RfASOHrqvmPah4w5ajp4Q-&tracks=7&toc=1+7+216825+150+32531+53532+80052+128560+148034+180879&tport=8001 start your search by artist or release, for example search by “Robert Schumann” and it will give you something like https://musicbrainz.org/cdtoc/attach?toc=1+7+216825+150+32531+53532+80052+128560+148034+180879&filter-artist.query=robert+schumann

Now comes the part that screws most people up. Select the radio button next to the desired name and NOT the name link itself. For example, selecting the radio button for the first name on the list (the composer) and clicking “Select” brings up https://musicbrainz.org/cdtoc/attach?toc=1+7+216825+150+32531+53532+80052+128560+148034+180879&filter-artist.query=robert+schumann&artist=32513 which is a list of all the releases which match the number of tracks on the media you’re trying to link. Now you can select the radio button next to the desired release / media and click the “Attach CD TOC” button at the bottom of the page. If you can’t find it in the list, you have the option of adding a new release.

3 Likes