Picard to iTunes (apple music) embedding art images not functioning

i agree and i canā€™t seem to find a way for it to force a library refresh or ā€œupdateā€. the only thing i have gotten to work is to remove the file from its location in finder in the music folder and play it from a new location. when this happens iTunes creates a duplicate of the file back in the music folder then recognizing the embedded art but it is then seen as a new file so all its associated playlists, play count and other meta data are gone. idk wtf is going on. i hate apple

the truly odd thing is that the album artwork shows in iTunes when playing the song but doesnā€™t show in the iTunes info under artwork. as shown below. so iTunes is seeing it but just not embedding it.

8774d921cefb5eca522cfc1f9155c0e8622ecf0d_2_654x499

That is the key point that shows you that the iTunes database is not updating. The image IS embedded, but iTunes only updates its database when you add the music track the first time. It is not aware that things may ā€œchangeā€. Trouble is Apple see iTunes as a shop front which is why the database is a PITA as they only expect files to come from certain directions.

There should be a delete option on the menu for the dups you are now getting?

If I find some time, Iā€™ll pull out that laptop and see if I can work it out. Hopefully an Apple user will appear with a solution as there should be a menu option somewhere.

image below appears to be one of the only options to update the library. which i am very hesitant to do. second option would be to move the entire music folder which i am also very hesitant to do bc there is no guarantee that will force iTunes to refresh and with 30k songs it could be catastrophic

Google says: https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2017/08/15/force-itunes-rescan-tags-library/

Though even that method does not seem to fit your experience. Iā€™ve seen you both on the Info page and playing the track and it is clearly not updating.

I certainly would not be hitting those ā€œOrganize Libraryā€ options as that is likely to make a big mess of your carefully organised folders.

A real Apple user should appear at some point to say how they do it.

1 Like

that is correct, playing the track, restarting the music app as well as restarting the computer have not helped to ā€œrefreshā€ the library. again its beyond frustrating by the artwork is showing in the miniature icon while in the music app. have i mentioned i hate appleā€¦

1 Like

I have similar feelings about iTunes, but it is a painful thing that is forced on Apple owners. Apple are very narrow minded when testing. So this is not surprising. At least you didnā€™t have to pay for those Apple devices.

In the Windows version you can at least delete things from the database and rescan. Be patient - an Apple fan will be along soon with their solution. Hopefully before you throw the computer out of the window.

Ivan and chance u know, or can call on any apple users?

additionally wanted to let u know i have been trying to figure this out with little luck. if the file is removed from iTunes(music) and opened again in finder it properly attaches the artwork but all the other metadata is lost, playlists, play counts, etc. so i am certain a library refresh will work but i canā€™t figure out how

Iā€™m not an Apple expert, but I will be working one later this week. (was supposed to be today but delayed). Did you try that Applescript in the post above? Or is that obsoleted now?

If no real Apple people appear, Iā€™ll find some time and pull this Apple laptop out I have on the shelf and see if I can get anything to work. I like puzzles and Appleā€™s limitations often annoy me enough to go find a way around them.

i havenā€™t tried the AppleScript work around yet as Iā€™m not exactly sure how the process is working. both pages its posted on do not provide a great description. thoughts or recommendations?

additionally i didnā€™t try bc the page says iTunes recognizes new data when the track is played. done that and it isnā€™t fixing my problem as we discussed.

Not had time to pull that old laptop out, but have a look at this thread: "Syncing" iTunes Cover Art with Picard

And especially @st3v3p as he actually uses Apple iTunes. So does playing the tracks not fix this like he suggest?

I am kinda disappointed at the lack of Apple users in the forum :frowning: Was hoping someone who actually uses iTunes may know how they solve this. I just ainā€™t had the time to pull that old laptop out and setup a test.

you can try using script editor to rescan iTunes/ Music

tell application ā€œiTunesā€
refresh selection
end tell

or

tell application ā€œMusicā€
refresh selection
end tell

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/iTunes_Guide
this may take some time if you have a lot of music

this will not update the song info in iTunes

Organize library probably will not update it either it just moves or copies the music to different folders on your computer. it is good for keeping things tidy

4 Likes

guys thanks for the responses. i tried multiple times with the applescript in different setups all with no luck. see screen shot below. i also reached out to apple and after two hours on the phone i had a call scheduled with an engineer to which i got a response 2 days later stating they know about the problem and there is no current work around but will be rectified in a subsequent update.

4 Likes

please let me know if u guys think of, or come up with any other workarounds as Iā€™m sure an app update is not the only solution to this problem

you can also try it will skip the songs that are missing. you need to select the songs that you wont it to run on before running
and you should look under results not replies

tell application "Music"
	repeat with aTrack in selection
		try
			refresh aTrack
		end try
	end repeat
end tell
1 Like

thanks, tried it, but with no luckā€¦ although i could have been doing it wrong as Iā€™m not exactly sure what u meant

1 Like

@freydangles what you do is in iTunes/Music hi-light all songs in you library then paste the script in to script editor then press the button that looks like a play button. if you are still using iTunes replace Music with iTunes
there are 3 scripts i found that do more or less the same thing

tell application "Music"
	refresh selection
end tell

and dont know what these do differently

tell application "Music"

set sel to selection

if sel is {} then return

repeat with aTrack in sel

if class of aTrack is file track then refresh aTrack

end repeat

end tell
tell application "Music"
	repeat with aTrack in selection
		try
			refresh aTrack
		end try
	end repeat
end tell

some images if you dont get it

and yes i know i have a heap of duplicates im working on it

3 Likes

we all have dupsā€¦ so i was running it correctly and i tried all the ways suggested with multiple variations all with no luck. i even tried allowing music to reorganize the files in hopes it would also pull new metadata but even that didnā€™t work. i hate appleā€¦ thanks guys

1 Like

the only thing i can suggest is may move all your songs to a different place then get iTunes to look for the missing songs and see if that works if it douse not your last option is remove all music from iTunes then re add it back tho you will lose your play count doing that

1 Like