Picard keeps locking up

Lately, Picard has been locking up on me. I can’t get the logs since the app has locked up so I can’t get into the Help screen.
Using Picard 1.4.2 and Xubuntu 16.04.3.

It seems to lockup on either the album art (which I’ve disabled) and on looking up other versions of an album. I’m also getting different results when scanning a cluster.

I was able to get the log in debug mode going before the freeze. I do a Cluster, then Scan, then right mouse click on the album in the right pane and then do a right click, Other versions, and choose one of the other albums.
The last entry in the log is (I can’t copy past it):
D: 08:25:12 WSREQ: Last request to (u'musicbrainz.org, 443) was 71679 ms ago, starting another one

And then it freezes up. I hit the close in the upper right and it says the window might be busy or not responding.

Wait a minute - I think I got it!
Turns out the wikidata-genre plugin was the culprit!
I disabled it, deleted it from .config, and now Picard is behaving.

The hunt for a genre plugin continues…

man, your comment was a lifesaver. I have been cursing at Picard for a year not knowing why it triggers a crash if certain albums get queried. it was that damn plugin the whole time.

they should remove it. can’t believe how much time I’ve wasted because of that thing.

Just a quick update on the wkidata genre plugin.

I have identified where the problem is and have a potential fix for the problem.
The plugin has a problem when there are multiple wikidata url’s linked at a release, artist or work level. This may happen if there was an entry for the original release and a re-issue of the release and someone created an entry for both.

This fix is currently in the 2.0 branch but needs some work before it can be merged there.
As just about everyone is running the Picard 1x branch I will need to make the same code changes to that branch and get it applied.
Hopefully I can get this applied in the next few weeks.
Please disable the wikidate genre plugin if you are having trouble.

Any chance of this still getting some love?

I’d like to add that it locks up hard for me on linux. Closing the gui doesn’t kill the process. I’ve been running picard in debug mode and you can’t “CTRL+C” to kill it either.

^CD: 18:47:30,878 /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/picard/tagger.signal:733: signal 2 received

Just hoping to see a fix.

Cheers

I just submitted a PR for this plugin: https://github.com/metabrainz/picard-plugins/pull/181

Let’s see if we can get some joy with this thing :slight_smile: