Picard 2.2 is available

Picard 2.2 is now available for download. There is quite a list of fixes and improvements this time.

For full details see the blog post:

As always thanks a lot to everybody who helped improving Picard. The community forums here have become a great source of feedback.

18 Likes

And it’s unusable.

Attempts to go into “Options” or “About” from the menu result in a crash. Reporting this as a bug.

1 Like

Reported as https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/PICARD-1606 it seems.

2 Likes

I don’t have that problem, Picard works normal.

1 Like

Likely Classical Extras needs to be updated.

We have identified the issue, it is caused by classical extras plugin crashing. A fix has been submitted, but until the updated plugin is available from official repositories you can download an updated plugin from https://keybase.pub/phwolfer/picard-plugins/classical_extras.zip
UPDATE: Please download the fixed plugin manually from https://picard.musicbrainz.org/api/v2/download?id=classical_extras

Just replace the existing classical_extras.zip file in your plugins folder with the new one. On Windows the plugin folder is in %LOCALAPPDATA%\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins.

Depending on your username this is something like C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins

7 Likes

If I were to rate the usefulness and total appreciation level for software updates over all…

The 2.2 release takes by so much more than a landslide.

So many little inky things fixed.

That bar has been raised so much higher it’s going to be really hard to top.

6 Likes

Thanks a lot for the kind words, fixing as many of the little inky things people had reported was kind of my goal for this release. But there is still plenty to do and improve. Next up will be a small 2.2.1 release with bug fixes. Then let’s see what will come for 2.3 :wink:

4 Likes

We have released Picard 2.2.1, which fixes a couple of issues reported here since the 2.2 release. Thanks to everybody here for your feedback and for reporting issues you encountered. The details are in the blog:

A special note to users of the Classical Extras plugin, which causes crashes when opening the options dialog :

Please download the fixed plugin manually from https://picard.musicbrainz.org/api/v2/download?id=classical_extras

Then replace the existing classical_extras.zip file in your plugins folder with the new one. On Windows the plugin folder is in %LOCALAPPDATA%\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins .

Depending on your username this is something like C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins

5 Likes

starting in 2.2 and continuing in 2.2.1, I get this behavior in the application where the behavior of the panel on the bottom (tag/orig value/new value/cover art) will expand to fill 3/4ths of the screen leaving only 3 lines of albums or tracks available to view. you can use your mouse to resize the panel back to normal, but sometimes it only lets you go between 3/4 view and full top panel view. It didn’t do this before, and it seems to be triggered by clicking on anything in the tagged album panel on the upper right.

is nobody else getting this? (windows 10)

Is this really not happening in earlier versions? For me this looks like the following issue:

it does sound the same. but honestly never happened to me before the 2.2 version, and I use the program a lot.

it is the cover art doing it. I deselected view cover art and it doesn’t expand. I reselected view cover art and it doesn’t do it until I select an album with multiple art options. but now if I click on something else with only one artwork, the view returns to normal and the panel shrinks. I feel like once it expanded before I had to manually intervene to get it back to normal, but I could easily be mistaking that since I didn’t make the connection to what was causing it. thank you.

1 Like

The polish stands out - all the little tweaks makes it look nice and shiny. It is the little details that make a difference. Nice work. :+1: A big thank you.

What stand out the most is the text and text boxes seem sharper, cleaner. This is on a PC with fonts blown up 150%. Just seems cleaner. Very nice.

Only one tiny little thing I have noticed. Now there are “colo(u)rs” mentioned in the settings it means more languages required. The “user Interface” page lets me select English (UK), and then comically underneath that it show “colors” in USA spelling.

If someone can point me at the USA language file, I’ll attempt to make a properly spelt English (UK) version from it. :smiley:

5 Likes

Version 2.2 stops the Classical Extras plugin from functioning correctly (even after the v2.0.6 fix)
I have raised a bug report, https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/PICARD-1615 :
Previous versions to 2.2 allowed metadata to contain dictionaries. E.g. a plugin could add a metadata item {‘a’: ‘Apple’, ‘b’: ‘Banana’}. Version 2.2 strips this to just a list of the keys - i.e. [‘a’, ‘b’], losing all the values.

EDIT: Having fixed this, it is apparent that there are multiple other issues with Classical Extras compatibility with Picard v2.2. My recommendation is that Classical Extras users should not update to Picard 2.2 until I give the all-clear.

3 Likes

English (UK), English (Australian) and English (Canadian) now completed. This is only 19 strings out of 716 that needed correction. The language files are much easier to maintain now as they only hold these 19 strings making it quicker to compare the three languages in future.

3 Likes

Is this a bug?

In this state NO artwork at all is downloaded. And that may not be obvious to a user.

When I put the tick back into “Save cover images as separate files” the artwork was downloaded again.

Note: I also have the options set to download ALL cover artwork available.

The reason I spotted this is due to this edit: Edit #64219132 - MusicBrainz

That user commented about not being able to download artwork. A quick check I also repeated it on my Win7 PC I was on at the time, but the Win10 Machine which I do much of the tagging from was fine. So I compared settings and spotted this is what had caused it.

To me it makes sense that if you don’t want to save cover art in either of the two given ways, cover art will not be saved.

It’s not really a bug, but it could be made clearer by having an overarching option “Save cover art“ with three radio buttons: embed, separate files and both. “Only embed a front image” could then be moved one level down in the options tree (it already depends on the option “Embed cover images into tags”).

3 Likes

I agree, isn’t a bug. More a confusion in the GUI that other users can trip over. Your solution is also logical. :slight_smile:

1 Like