Original title/authors, but not for a compilation

It is time to tackle… Super Junior.

17 years worth of releases, solos, subunits, concert albums, DVDs… and I have physical copies of pretty much everything. This is all relevant data for MusicBrainz to have, but here’s the thing - SM Ent. will buy a bunch of songs that have been written and/or released for the Western markets, and then have their own songwriters create Korean lyrics for the song itself, then give it to SJ (or other groups like Shinee or Red Velvet). I see on some Shinee songs that the song is linked as a ‘translation’ with the Korean lyricists credited as lyricists and the original composers/arrangers credited as such.

But is this the correct practice/styling? How would one indicate that there’s a new arrangement or composition as is the case in some of the SJ songs via the album liner notes? (Sometimes there’s bits that need to be added/taken off/rearranged to make the lyrics work in a different language.) Should I just… leave it off or add them to the list of arrangers even if they are not the ‘original’ arrangers and that it wasn’t a collaboration between these groups of arrangers at the same time? Right now, I’m just adding in (slowly) the data for the non-purchased songs.

In addition - is there a way to indicate that a recording engineer is attached to a certain entertainment company if they work for that company? For example, Choi Yeji (who has not been introduced by name on any Beatcom, or data that I can find other than liner notes) works at Cube’s internal studio (again, liner notes and relationships) as a recording engineer:

Is there a way to indicate that they work at/for Cube Ent. so that it is possible to more easily locate them? Yes the disamb is a possibility, but I’m not sure if the correct styling would be putting in ‘recording engineer/mostly [or only] Cube artists’ or ‘recording engineer at Cube Studio’ in to the disamb.

I could be overthinking all of this because I’ve been avoiding SJ because it’s… 17 years worth of data and the mountain of work (which is made more confusing by looking it up on KOMCA) is a little daunting. (And unless someone has created a userscript which can take writing from pictures, manual entry is the only way unless the data is already on discogs or maniadb)

1 Like

I’m not really an expert in this field, but I’ll pop down some basic answers and others can expand :+1:

Your example is a good one I think - like this work. There’s even a later translated work based on that one!

Basically: Create a new work, so that you can credit the translators and any new arrangers. Link it to the original work via a ‘translated version of’ or ‘arrangement of’ relationship.
What I’m unsure about is whether you should also duplicate all the original arrangers from the original work to the new work, if anyone else wants to pitch in? In your example they’ve been copied over.

There are artist > label relationships. ‘Engineer position’ in particular.

If you think it’s helpful you can also add a disambiguation, as well as the relationship. In my opinion annotations almost never hurt, if you have some extra info on the position, what they did, etc!

1 Like

BLESS thank you, that’s what I was looking for!

1 Like