New releases - CD vs Spotify\Deezer

Is this common?

I have the CD here… and track 5 - Alygatyr is 3:34. But your Deezer and Spotify copies are the same as the single at 3:23.

So lay your bets… does the Spotify versions suddenly change some time this week? Or will that pre-release single suddenly change? Will they tell us it has happened? And I assume this will mean a new Release in MB terms when it does occur?

CD Times are set by a discID. And I just listed to the track as there is no obvious end bit that is extra. for now I have split a separate recording due to differences in AcoustIDs too.

1 Like

It’s not unheard of for CD audio to differ from digital audio. Editors can’t reasonably know this, and it of course leads to bad data.

3 Likes

I find it an interesting curiosity that I’ll now watch. See if\when it changes. I own the CD as I know it won’t suddenly change on me. :laughing:

I have seen older albums added to Spotify and tracks changed from album => single versions. Just interesting to see it happening to an album on release day.

What ISRC does the Spotify album show if you put it into https://d.ontun.es/ and does it match the one on the CD?

2 Likes

@Comrade_Mike No idea on both. Sorry. I don’t normally do digital releases, so don’t know how to find that stuff at Spotify. The site you link it not accessible to me as it needs a Spotify login.

Also never extracted an ISRC from a CD as it is too much faffing around with command line tools. Don’t get stuff like that in the EAC rip logs.

Updated: tried to look into this, but the MB page on ISRC just links to two abandoned pages on the Wayback machine. No instructions. Can’t even get a help file from these with a /? at the command line (Could I suggest add a little hint or two to that page as to how to make these work? :wink:)

Updated 2: After stubbornly fighting on with these tools I got some numbers I could paste into kepstin-magicisrc. Not sure why that doesn’t have a comment you can add - but then I guess it is not used much. I also found I had a script that will let me see these numbers on the Apple page.

Sure enough - CD is…

DiscID   : tM0BD5pocquRfJfTdGTuQkqneck-
Track 1  : GBARL2200700
Track 2  : GBARL2200520
Track 3  : GBARL2200709
Track 4  : GBARL2200710
Track 5  : GBARL2200718
Track 6  : GBARL2200711
Track 7  : GBARL2200712
Track 8  : GBARL2200713
Track 9  : GBARL2200714
Track 10 : GBARL2200715
Track 11 : GBARL2200716
Track 12 : GBARL2200717

And the Digital sources match those tracks, but swap track 5 to GBARL2101665

So I have now submitted my first (and likely last) ISRCs and filled in the numbers for both versions of the release.

4 Likes

I don’t remember, are you on Linux?
The best tool for CD is isrcsubmit.

But indeed you have to add the edit note afterwards, from the edit history. :woozy_face:

1 Like

It’s not uncommon, unfortunately. Especially common on compilations that the CD versions have different recordings than the digital version. But seeing it on an artist release probably is a little less common than on compilations.

1 Like

I’ve tried for years to use that and have never been able to install it. I’d love for a .exe install version to be available for Windows. The instructions and process currently to install that go way over my head that I’ve given up. Or any Windows tool to submit ISRCs from a CD. Never have been able to do it.

2 Likes

On Linux, I think I found it in my Debian’s apt installer.
But I also use it on Windows.
I think I just unzipped it and then you can execute the isrcsubmit.bat file from the command line.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve tried that many times, it never works. I just don’t get it. I’ve never used Linux in my life. I just wish there was an easier way on Windows. I’ve installed Python before and it took hours, and this still didn’t work. I think that many programmers forget that we don’t know anything other than install or setup on Windows, lol. It might be my CD/DVD-rom not being compatible. I got the .bat to bring the screen up and it acted like it was doing something, but then it never pulled any info.

3 Likes

Work says “Windoze” so I live in GUI land more of the time. Them old Windows command line tools are a bit too clunky. Really need that merged into Picard in some way.

Can’t be bothered with running Linux as too many of my tools are missing, and too much work to keep it up to date. Maybe sling it in a VM one day…

It is not for normal people. Especially with the lack of instructions. It is sitting on a ten year old abandoned page found on the Wayback Machine. I finally got Lukas’ isrcsubmit to spit out a result with “isrcsubmit H: > result.txt” at the command prompt. (H: is my CD player) Total guesswork to get there as there is no readme.txt and no batchfiles.

Next had to copy\paste each ISRC number one by one into the Magic ISRC webpage track by track. Which also has no way to add edit notes. Too much faff for something I care little about. Rather spend that time on adding Works\artwork. Wasted an hour just on that one Release.

Main tip. No Python needed. Just unzip to a folder. Then when in that folder and “Open Command Prompt” or “Open Powershell”. Now you have an old stylee Command Prompt window. And you can type in the command as above. Just change your CD name. If you use the command as I show, you end up with a text file with the discID and ISRCs in like in my note above.

Yeah, I had seen it before with Digital compilations. What surprised me is seeing it on a big name band on release day. This is why I will now watch this. Surely it is an error by the digital media people. Accidentally adding the single instead of the album track. I assume it will suddenly be silently corrected.

It is why I could never go digital. Feels a bit too 1984 - “We have always been at war with Eastasia”. It’s the Ministry of Truth editing the track list… :rofl: :scream:

2 Likes

On magic ISRC, if I just copy and paste results, like you show above, it knows which ones are ISRCs and discards the rest of the text! So, you no longer have to copy & paste each individual ISRC. Just paste in the first box and it will autofill the rest of the release! It’s cool.

3 Likes

Well, I still couldn’t get to work, but I figured out how to get the ISRCs by using Exact Audio Copy and just copy and paste using magic ISRC.

2 Likes

Too many tools assume you are an expert. Would have been nice to get a hint that was possible as I did them all one by one for both versions of the Release.

1 Like

Ach, yes indeed, you have to install a certain version of Python on Windows… :thinking:

Oh you are using an older tool called isrcsubmit.exe, then.
It’s not the (better) musicbrainz-isrcsubmit (isrcsubmit.bat), I was mentioning, that directly submits ISRC, without the need for magic ISRC.

It’s because you are probably using MASS ISRC. :wink::+1:

2 Likes

Ah, now I understand the Python comments. I went with the native applications as I didn’t spot the “windows” option on that one.

This page is what I was trying to use as a reference: ISRC - MusicBrainz

I now see the one you talk of. Faffing with Python would have made it even longer than an hour to get those numbers. :laughing:

That page shows me that ISRCs are not really that important or there would be a “how to” somewhere. Funny how so much of that is pointing to archive links. :slight_smile: Make it a plugin in Picard and it would be easy to add to the process of submitting a new CD.

My interest has always been in the people behind the music, not where the money goes. :moneybag:

Me too, but ISRC can be helpful support while guessing recording versions, sometimes.

2 Likes

Exactly. I use it primarily to spot recording merges and country of origin.

1 Like