New plugin: Original recording date (BETA VERSION -- feedback wanted)

Has he done anything like this Bach player? :slight_smile:

What would you like it to do? - features etc?

1 Like

Yes, that’s what he did. Just with a bigger time gap. 2010 Roger sung with 1980 Roger. Sorry for junk crowd video - watch the official concert. superb show.

It is tempting, but my coding skills are rusty. I’d also need to make a new ID over there as I doubt people will like that I abandoned the old add-on I created. :laughing:

do you have a list of it’s features?

1 Like

Yeah - its a dream in my head. So current feature list is “make everything I see on the MB site available in KODI in a pretty interface”. :rofl: I want an artist page, an album page, a recording page…

Until then I just have two windows open - one on the KODI GUI, and the other on a tablet looking at the MB website…

1 Like

To start with, I’d be happy with displaying the information from a flac file that has full metadata.

• track composer,
  • track instrument performers
  • dates
  • artwork

A great deal if that is there.

• missing is the ‘originally released on date x as a single’

basically what you could read off ye olde liner notes. Accessing the MB database as a second level of enquiry, I prefer to be able to play the music and see the info without reliance on the internet and an external database.

Open questions are how to update the metadata automatically and link to ‘latest news’…

1 Like

Newer versions of KODI have more ability to show “recorded date” instead of “release date”. I’ve seen something about that in latest releases. And some talk of searching by composers. So it is starting to happen.

It is already interesting the way you can mine into an artist and their discography through KODI. Its happening slowly…

I’ve also watched some of the MB conversation on ‘originally released on date x as a single’ and can see how hard that will be to calculate automagically. That is a lot of lookups needed whilst also hoping all the data is in the database. (Maybe wikidata links can help there… but that is often badly biased to USA releases)

1 Like

yes, and why I think doing it at tagging time is preferable…

I do get what you are trying to do and why. I just look at the data and see how hard it would be to locate “first single release” from the way the database is constructed. An interesting puzzle to try and solve.

Maybe if we can poke more people to actually link works when they add a compilation would be a good help. :slight_smile:

Perhaps, but for me this is just one data item. The broad vision is to be able to view the metadata in the flac file in a player that is philosophically like the liner notes vs your two screens …

If there is a nice player, I believe it will encourage more metadata

Very cool @dpr and @IvanDobsky - something that does this kind of thing is being aimed for in a few ways.

In theory ListenBrainz can supply this kind of data no matter where you’re listening to your music from - online or local streaming, local files, and so on. We’re definitely going to move towards showing lots of info in the listens drop down/info. Please make sure to keep an ear out and feedback when we get to it! Or nudge us to do it sooner…

Potentially of more interest to you/a more traditional ‘looking’ desktop application is the LB desktop player/display that @mr_monkey has already worked on. Monkey… I can’t find it anymore. Can you link it?

Of course this doesn’t remove the reliance on an internet connection, but I think it’s great that MeB is getting proactive after waiting decades for others to make good use of all our advanced data, and LB is the avenue to do it.

It is here: GitHub - metabrainz/listenbrainz-now-playing
Although I am not sure if we are storing built executables for download currently.
Paging Dr. @lucifer !

2 Likes