A new MusicBrainz user script was released

There is a great new script by @Smeulf !

Unicode Characters (unicodechars)

This is a useful popup to insert some frequent special characters (like apostrophe, curly quotes, etc.) in all MusicBrainz text boxes (titles, artists, etc.).

Just press Ctrl+m and voilà ! (it’s a French script) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Merge recordings from acoustID page

Download on bitbucket
Launches a recordings merge operation from an acoustid.org track page: just select the recordings and click the “launch merge” button.

I needed this script because I often want to merge recordings based on a common acoustID (and other evidence as same durations, same performers, same label, etc.). When the recordings are all linked to a Work, I use my Show acoustids on a Work page script that will merge only recordings already linked to the work. If it not the case, this script should be useful, for example when a lot of different versions/arrangements of the work exist.

Misc notes:

• I suggest to combine this with @jesus2099’s MB merge helpor 2 script for more flexibility
  • the script has to fetch info silently for each recording, so when merging X recordings, it should take X seconds to display the merge page
  • tested with firefox and tampermonkey
8 Likes

Sounds like another one for @colbydray’s User Script List wiki page. Great work. Thanks.

EDIT: Oops, looks like this has already been added and I missed it. Sorry about that.

2 Likes

Did you not mistake title here?
Shouldn’t it be Merge recordings from acoustID page, instead?

Even if not merge soon, I suggest a cool feature.
As you are loading recording data already, maybe you could show which have pending edits?
With the URL you’re fetching (https://musicbrainz.org/ws/js/entity/<mbid>), you can see "editsPending": true, if it’s the case.

1 Like

Absolutely, thanks. Fixed

Good point, I’ll try to add that soon

2 Likes

@IvanDobsky, @paulakreuzer and @Lotheric have suggested this idea and I have added the following new user script to my github repo:

mb. ALL RELEASE GROUPS

It will always display full artist discographies (including non official release groups) by default.

You can try with this normal DAVID BOWIE link. If you click it (either left or right), it should instantly turn into and direct you towards the famous Show all release groups instead (all=1) link.
Then you can use the Show only official release groups instead (all=0) link to go back to official‐only display.

Bear that in mind if you want to share an artist link with right‐click/copy, you will get the modified URL.
If many people prefer that the script does not modify the URL when right‐clicking, please comment in this ticket.

※ I will soon stop using greasyfork and openuserjs mirrors

8 Likes

Brilliant! Doesn’t seem to work for me at the moment though? Edit: It works, just not when I click on your forum link for some reason :slight_smile:

While I have your brilliant mind handy, how hard would it be to indicate whether there are various artist releases somewhere before clicking the link? Like you’ve done with the cover art tab (tells you how many images are there before clicking).

1 Like

Create Broadcast release from recording

That might be useful for people adding podcasts on MB.

Description: from an existing recording page, create a new release of Broadcast type containing only this recording (i.e. follow the official guideline for podcasts).

(see the “create broadcast release” button on the bottom right)

You should be able to just validate the “add release” edit, since all fields should be prefilled correctly: same release title and artists as the recording, track with the same title and same artist, using the preexisting recording (also copy the “streamed for free” link if existing)

Download link on github

8 Likes

Clone relations in Release Editor

An often asked-for script: clone relationships from one recording to some others in the release editor.

Description:
Select the recordings you want with the usual checkboxes (including the one you want to copy from), enter the index number of the recording you want to copy from (by default the 1st one), and click “Clone relations”.

Credits, attributes and dates should be cloned too; recording-recording and recording-work relations are skipped.

Download link on github

Ping me here or open an issue in case of trouble, I only tested a few basic cases

Edit: discussion moved to Clone relations in Release Editor

14 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Need help creating a user script

I’ve got two userscripts to share with you all today.

Bulk copy-paste work identifiers

Quickly import work identifiers (ISWC, agency work codes) from ISWCNet.

Description

ISWCNet is a great resource to find a bunch of work identifiers, but copy-pasting all of them into the work edit page is quite the chore. No more! When installed, it’ll add a button to each work in ISWCNet’s search results, and a button to each work edit/create page in MusicBrainz. Click the button on ISWCNet, switch to the edit page, click the button there, and spend the time you saved in other useful ways.

Find it on GitHub (direct install link).

Notes/Caveats/Disclaimers

• At the moment, the script does not sanitise any IDs, but it does internally normalise them to check for duplicates.
  • Currently, it can only copy data from ISWCNet, but other repertoires can be added.
  • The script is fairly conservative, and will ask for confirmation whenever it detects that there are IDs in MB that aren’t on ISWCNet.
  • Once the button is clicked, the copied data is cleared and cannot be repasted without copying it again. This is intentional, to prevent accidentally reusing data on other work pages.

Display CAA image dimensions

This script has been such a godsend that I honestly forgot that it was a userscript and not built into MB. Displays the dimensions of images on CAA inline, underneath each image.

Can also be found on GitHub (direct install link).

Notes

To get these dimensions, the script loads the full-size images in the background. This can be a burden on your network, especially for pages with many images, so loading is deferred until the first time the image is visible on the page (i.e., it won’t load until you scroll to it). In addition, loading is aborted as soon as the dimensions are known, so effectively, only a small portion of the full-size image should actually be transferred for it to work.

17 Likes

MusicBrainz Magic Tagger Button

A user script to improve handling of the green tagger button Open in tagger:

4 Likes

mb. PRINT ALL PAGES

A script that allows you to print your collection on paper sheets, nicely.
Ideal for second hand shops, feal markets, with your what you already own list, in hands:

10 Likes

Announcing not one, not two, but three new userscripts that went live just a little while ago.

1. Supercharged Cover Art Edits

Have you ever noticed the vast amount of empty space on the right hand side of cover art edits? It’s free real estate. Let’s use it to supercharge voting on cover art edits!

Features

• Displays handy release information (status, packaging, format) on cover art edits, so you can easily check whether a medium scan is added to a digital media release, a square front cover is added to a digipak, or any sort of cover art is added to a pseudo-release.
  • Displays other images inline next to the new or removed image, facilitating checking an image against the rest of the images without opening the cover art tab. Immensily powerful on cover art removals: Check whether a matching replacement image exists without opening other tabs!
  • Can show a pop-up dialog enabling more detailed comparison between two images, either side-by-side, or in overlay mode (hover over the images to switch between two versions).
  • Makes use of resemble.js to calculate similarity between two images and highlight differences, making spotting even the most subtle differences in images child’s play.

Screenshots

Other Tidbits

• Generating the similarity and differences can be quite expensive, so it’s not done automatically, and requires clicking it when you need it. It’s normal for it to lock up your browser a bit. I have some ideas to make it more responsive, but that would require technologies that aren’t widely supported in browsers yet.
  • Works very well in conjunction with Display CAA Dimensions.

Install here

2. Blind Votes

While voting on edits here, I began to notice potential bias in my reviews. There are often edits where I see a familiar name as the editor and think “Well I’ve never seen this person do a bad edit of this type before, so most likely this one will be fine too and I don’t have to check in depth as much as I usually do.” I decided to try to eliminate some of this bias, so I wrote this little script. It blinds out the editor’s name on open edits on which you have not voted, as well as the names of voters and the votes cast so far (to prevent peer pressure). Whenever you select a vote, the details are unblinded. I’m not sure whether it will provide a better or more reliable voting experience, but it’s a fun experiment nonetheless. Install here.

3. Collapse Work Attributes

Since I’m probably the root cause of the rise in work attributes because of the work code importer, when I saw MBS-11535 and MBS-11537, I felt it to be my duty to provide a userscript as a temporary workaround. Not much else to say here, it does what it says it does :slight_smile: Should work on every page where work attributes are displayed. Install here.

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 22.06.32

Help! Your Cool Stuff Doesn’t Work!

Problems? Feature requests? File an issue in the GitHub repo or reach out via IRC.

12 Likes

WTF.

This is amazing…

5 Likes

The work code script gets better and better with every update. Would it be possible to adapt it to the JASRAC service (http://www2.jasrac.or.jp/eJwid/)? It only gives the JASRAC ID and the ISWC, but filling those in + getting JASRAC in the dropdown still slows things down a lot.

QoL userscript.

Upload to CAA From URL (Yes! Really!)

Install
I’ve grown a bit tired of seeing my desktop cluttered with covers of random releases after a short editing session.

And apparently, a bunch of others would like to get rid of that clutter as well (MBS-4641). So I said, no more!

Usage

Fairly straightforward: Copy an image URL, paste it in the text box, the userscript will download the image into memory and add it to the upload queue. It’ll attempt to figure out the correct image type via magic numbers (reused from MB’s own implementation) since some sites may use incorrect extensions.

Recommended to use in conjunction with maxurl to get the highest-quality images on various sites.

Compatibility

Tested on FF 90 + ViolentMonkey 2.13.0, YMMV.

Minor technical details

Download blob, turn blob into file, create fake “drop” event containing the file, trigger the drop event on the drop zone to coerce MB into adding it to the queue.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a desktop to declutter.

18 Likes

Works well with Opera for Windows (76.0.4017.107) + Tampermonkey for Opera (4.11.6120)
but I get this warning… I clicked Allow Once and it worked.

2 Likes

It sounds super great! I will use it on Linux.

@Lotheric, this is not needed on Windows, where the file selection dialog already manages URL.

1 Like

it’s one less click!

2 Likes