Musicbrainz data dumps

Hey there everyone,

I have been fiddling around with the MusicBrainz data dumps. I downloaded all of them, unzipped them and opened the files with notepad. I don’t have any programming skills so I thought I would just copy paste the data into an excel file, which works nicely for let’s say artist file.

What I wanted to do next was find the relationships file containing external URLs and match them with the artist ID and I could not do that. I found the URL file but the URL MBID doesn’t match the artist MBID.

Tried the VM route but my brain froze when it came to all the programming inputs, setting up hosts, etc. I have to admit this is all too much for me. I would really appreciate it if someone could explain how to match those two in layman terms.

Thank you very much in advance

Download the ready-to-use VM and running with VirtualBox?

Maybe this can help you understand the connections between the data. But to be honest: It isn’t that easy…

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Appreciate the help.

Yup i downloaded the ready-made virtual image and ran it in VM but running command lines is a whole another universe for me as I never had any dealings with command line based OS.

As for the second tip. I managed to find the URL file in those dumps but the IDs aren’t matching, that’s what is puzzling to me. I can see that all the links are in there but each url has it’s own unique ID.