MovieBrainz?

It really would need someone new (a developer) to actively step in and lead the charge. The to do list is forever long for current projects, involving all the current devs.

Out of curiosity though, what are the frustrations, and how does our system solve them? I assume we are also lacking features that they have/a film site would need?

5 Likes

one thing I havenā€™t seen is a movie database that has different entities for different edits and versions of a movie or TV show. (granted, I havenā€™t really looked yetā€¦)

for instance, youā€™ve got Deadpool 2, which has at least 3 different versions; the theatrical version, the extended Super Duper Cut, and the PG-13 rated Once Upon a Deadpool. each of them has a different runtime, release dates, and Once Upon a Deadpool even adds cutaway gags with Deadpool talking with Fred Savage in reference to The Princess Bride, so therefore a different cast list.

and donā€™t even get me started on anime with official English dubsā€¦ or all the different versions of the original Star Wars trilogyā€¦

Iā€™m certain a MovieBrainz could be designed to handle all that and more~

7 Likes

I was going to highlight the lack of release groups, but UltimateRiff already kinda did. One thing not yet mentioned is the air ordering vs. DVD ordering topic. The lack of release groups on those platforms is really quite painful.

2 Likes

Those are all great examples. I would like to add oneā€¦ entities like Stephen Kingā€™s IT. This is technically a TV show, but many have this in their collection as a movie.

1 Like

This would be interesting on CB. Movies like Blade Runner have some controversial cuts, for example.

1 Like

Something like this?

1 Like

I would suggest to use the film archive standard EN 15907 for orientation.
http://www.filmstandards.org/fsc/index.php/EN_15907

we could only use the top three in the hierarchy and these could cover the needs.

• Cinematographic Work (e.g. The Evil Dead)
  • Variant (e.g. british 80:47 min version / 18 cuts) Would need some serious rules naming these.
  • Manifestation (e.g. Palace Video VHS)

this way we would have works on top hierarchy and go down to sellable/streamable copies (and maybe even archival film copies)

I feel like the top two categories could fit nicely into works, like weā€™ve currently got works and arrangements in MusicBrainz

granted, we could handle it differently on MovieBrainz than on MusicBrainz. for instance, I donā€™t know if weā€™d need a Release Group/Edition Group level, because we could just use the Work entity in this schemeā€¦