Minimum requirements for lyrics

He can’t have even a single cuff in the audience, so he never plays solo performances during winter (and stops playing if he is disturbed by something). He himself get very loud sometimes and he seems to be in a trance. Very strange person.

1 Like

Yep. I can see that.

If he so controls his environment, then he would not forget a microphone if his voice was important.

If he let someone else play his work, would he expect them to make the same noises? I assume not.

These are not lyrics. This is just the passion of playing.

1 Like

The microphone was added indeed when it has become a trademark. In general his singing isn’t worth beeing recorded. But I’ve paid 800 Euro (cheapest category ticket) to see him in the Musikvereinssaal at his first ever solo performance in Vienna. And he was close to end the performance untimely because he was disturbed by something invisible/inaudible.

Maybe I should stick with writer credits for Marcus Miller. This would avoid the problem deciding if there lyrics to credit or not. “Vocals” I’ve credited according to album information. If vocals means, speaking to the audience, it should be.

1 Like

No. Speaking to an audience is not vocals.

But I still go back to the same question. Does he make the exact same noise at the same place every performance? Would he expect someone else performing his work to mimic his vocal noises?

So far I see no reason to think these are lyrics. If anything it is closer to a bit of percussion as he is getting carried away with the main performance. He is clearly so deep in his music he doesn’t care what he looks like. The only vocal noise I hear is him riffing with himself in his head.

No, because there is no second performance of any of those works. :grin:
It’s improvisation - fully! There are no written parts and every solo concert is a work on its own. If you buy a concert series you get completely different performances. It’s not the same as with Peter Gabriel’s Encore Series. … although there are different “fuck-ups” on every show. :joy:

If you like to try, you should start with the legendary 1975 Köln concert.

1 Like

I think it’s fine to use “spoken vocals” for this kind of thing.

If you’re talking about the Köln Concert improvisations, I don’t think they should have any lyricist credited. They should have works though since the recordings have been transcribed and published. Actually, “Improvisation” would be a good work type to have for such cases.

2 Likes

I’d agree with that, but I assumed “talking to the audience” here meant chat between tracks? I haven’t heard him speak as part of the performance. I admit I’ve just skimmed the hour performance, but did listen to most of the 5mins example. If I missed something, please point me at the actual time stamp.

You are missing the point of my question due to being too much of a fan :grin:.

If he repeated this performance, he isn’t going to make those odd noises again at the same point. The vocal noises are more like tapping a foot or reacting to his own performance. If he wrote this performance out as sheet music he wouldn’t write down the vocal part.

I do understand that he doesn’t repeat anything. Another one of those pesky musicians that won’t fit into the cookie cutter boxes of categories. :rofl: How dare these rebels mess up the nice organised database.

1 Like

Not only Köln Concert, but yes. And yes there should be a work type for free improvisation as it is definitely not composition in a sense that there fixed work which can be covered by other artists.

Maybe this isn’t a live recording. Then it’s purposely added. But I’ve listened again and there are more vocal contribution (shouts) at about 6:00, quite similar to Keith Jarrett’s “vocals”. You may listen:

Decide if that’s lyrics. BTW: Miller’s YT upload provides detailed composer/lyricist credits! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hate those artists! They should be forced to add their stuff to MB by themselves. :joy:

2 Likes

I’m only listening on desktop Yamaha 2.1 speakers and not my bigger HiFi. Again I don’t hear “lyrics” at 6 mins. I here someone say something background before the trumpet kicks in. More like band member chat.

I see what you mean with the credits under that video, but I’d wonder if they were just copy pasta from another track. I’d want to see the printed booklet of a CD.

If adding that track I would not credit it with lyrics.

1 Like

I will check! But at first glance there are per track credits.*

booklet
… these are the original credits.

EDIT:
*) no additional information. “written by” is only translated to “Composer Lyricist:”
EDIT 2:
Not entirely. Tracks with no credited vocals are only “Composer:” The only difference to my credits is in fact Track 1 (“Trip Trap”) with Miller credited for writing lyrics too. And of course those I chose to keep “writer” while on YouTube it’s, for example:
Composer Lyricist: Marcus Miller
Composer Lyricist: Maurice White
Composer Lyricist: Eddie Del Barrio
Composer Lyricist: Larry Dunn

but I don’t think “Keep 'Em Runnin” has enough text for 4 lyricists.

That is not unusual to find many more people credited than actually picked up a pen. This often happens as a way to share the profits.

But it is interesting to note that you are now finding different credits on the tracks without words.

(On a side note - something is going mental on my PC now in this thread… don’t know if it is the 12MB image or something else in another tab… making my typing here now stutter lake a mad thing… :grin: )

But it might be a simple algorithm. If no vocals → no lyricist. I suppose they are not interested in lyrics and in fact only credit composition. Lyrics on track 4 are not written by those three. They most probably do not speak this language and would not be able to write it - for sure!

I haven’t experienced any problems, but I can remove it.

1 Like

That’s the way I look at it.

MB is a database recording facts. With the musician the Music and Performance is more important. Meanwhile the lawyer and accountant are more interested in the credits for splitting up the cash.

There is no perfect answer.

I’m still running a clunk old Core 2 Quad and it is funny what can give it hiccups. Those hiccups have now stopped. Hopefully I’ll get a quiet day in the coming weeks to get a new PC setup…

1 Like

I would recommend a Linux-Distribution. It puts new life in an old machine. I’m not sure if this would end problems with large embedded images, but a slim OS leaves more resources for other use. If network speed is no possible reason, I would expect the system lacks of RAM. Then it starts swapping and that brings the whole system down.

That reminds me of Lauryn Hill and the long list of additional composers. There have to be done something and if I have to find out every single track she sampled on this album… :roll_eyes:

(if the Corona crises continues I have my CDs added to MB until summer, although I hope I will get distracted again sooner :wink: )

1 Like

I keep it quiet, but my day job is IT engineer, hence why I am so busy at the moment. I’m still looking for some of this “bored time at home” everyone else is complaining about. :smiley: I’m the guy that gets your little company home working. A normal week means spending most days at home on remote connection software.

This old beast of a Quad Core Q6600 has been running for over a decade. It’s on an Abit motherboard which also shows the age! The job requires Windows on the main box. That’s not what makes it slow.

Your diagnosis is correct - it is complaining because it only has 4GB DDR2 RAM in it. But there are also five hard disks in here with the page file out on its own SSD. And I am an extreme (but patient) multi-tasker. At the time I had: three different web browsers open; this browser currently has 200 tabs open; I had six Word documents open; two videos open and paused; 25 torrents running; 200Mbps broadband being hammered; connected to a VPN via the Netherlands; editing a dozen scanned images in Paint.Net!; two remote connections open to PCs in other towns monitoring client PCs… Yeah - the slow downs were expected. Nothing unusual. :crazy_face: But to give the PC its full credit it still runs better than many machines I have to use. :smiley:

I often notice this forum can suddenly just chomp up the clock cycles as it had one core pinned at max. May have been a different tab, but it was noticeable it had stopped when I came back and the image had gone. I cause problems for myself on MB as I also have various script blocks that often binds up the main site in weird delays, but I am used to that. Patience.

The beast that is about to replace it is a little Ryzen 9 3900X 12core with 32GB DDR4 RAM and other funky extras. That should handle the forum a bit better. And a few planned VMs just to add to the multi-tasking.

I don’t only have one computer in this house… :crazy_face: :nerd_face: There are two purely dedicated to my media collection… and there is a high chance that the old Quad may get “retired” to a Linux based task…

Haha - have you been looking at my edit history? I was working on my copy of her Miseducation Of… album yesterday. When lawyers get involved in music it takes away all the fun.

2 Likes

Now I have. Great, thanks!

I’m still working too. In fact I’m part of the “critical infrastructure” as the company I’m working for performs most of the CoV-2 analyses of Austria. But there’s less distraction from scanning all my CDs apart from that. And at the moment I enjoy it. It’s very interesting, researching all those things while adding a new release.

That’s how I’ve got my collection. Buying new hardware for friends and collecting their old PCs no longer fit to run the latest Windows version (or, even better, not fit for the latest version of a game). Although some of them are stored in the cellar now as there’s really no use for them. I’ve run out on tasks… :laughing:
And furthermore, I try to switch to more energy efficient, silent systems - and therefore new. My next KODI-Box will be a fan-less mini pc, fit enough to convert videos in measurable time. A i7 8600U wasn’t efficient enough. Without limiting it to 2.4 GHz it would have set the furniture on fire. Maybe a new Ryzen could do the job.

2 Likes

I’m now worried as to how you knew I had that Lauryn Hill CD out… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Best wishes to you on the day job :mask:. I’m supporting a few critical companies too, and it can be a little tough hearing stories from the front line. It’s why I like the relaxing distraction of MB. Doing the research on something “normal” like music is a nice way to fill the mind.

There is an obvious low-power KODI box worth trying. Get yourself a Raspberry Pi. Neat little bit of versatile kit which a *nix head like yourself would enjoy. I do my conversions and tagging on a different PC as the library is on a server separated from the KODI machine. One of my Pi’s is currently a Pi-Hole making surfing so much nicer.

Funnily enough - my current KODI box is another Core 2 Quad Q6600 with a better graphics card added. I also fire other stuff up on the TV screen that are Windows based so not yet swapped it out to a Pi. Anyway, can’t get too energy efficient otherwise I’d need to get better heaters for the house. :smiley:

KODI is handy to have in a lockdown. I’ve also got an incoming VPN setup giving a couple of mates access to my music and video collection.

2 Likes

I thought of that too, but with all those high performance mini pcs and more efficient mobile cpus I thought. My 8th gen i7 had 15W TDP with disabled turbo boost (2.4GHz) and that’s probably the upper limit for passive cooling, because the heat has to be removed by normal thermal convection. You don’t want to place a high performance fan in front of your fan-less media box. :wink:

I still dream of a fanless high performance box. But my current KODI box starts struggling with some (only some) 4K videos (Athon X2 with 2.something GHz and not really supported by a stone age Nvidia 8600 graphics card).

:laughing: problem, these are noisy heaters.

Get better quality fans\cases. I hear the hard disks more than I hear the fans.

The main KODI PC has a non-standard HSF from the overclockers world. Big tall metal tower heatpipe thing means a slower fan can blow through it. A big 120mm in front to pull air in, but the graphics card is fanless as they can be the worst for squeaky whine.

As to the stone age nVidia card, that may be worth swapping to a newer fanless 710 as the ancient 8600 GPU ain’t going to handle the modern video processing as well as the newer cards. There is more hardware decoding built in for newer video compression methods. That again leads to less work on the CPU so less heat generated.

My ancient 8600 is fanless! And I’ve tried to build the system like take. It isn’t noisy, but it’s not dead silent and, as I said, it’s too old now and should be replaced in the near future. But if the box would break down momentarily I probably build a system with silent fans.

My “fanless project” avoids a special GPU using Intel’s built-in graphics, but of course the graphics isn’t the main problem. I desire a system capable of encoding recorded videos (tv streams, etc). I don’t think I can use the abilities of the graphics adapter for that purpose. (I have got no new nvidia card, so I have no experience on that.)

1 Like