Merging Vinyl and CD recordings of Supertramp - Paris (printed vs actual track lengths)

It is sounds like it is only one of many sources. Just pick what you feels looks correct. Usually the band will put accurate details on their releases, but I know of at least one band whose whole website discography is out by a whole year.

1 Like

I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶I̶’̶v̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶i̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶N̶o̶v̶ ̶2̶9̶t̶h̶.̶ First, the source is just a post in a forum. And I’ve read it again. It is assumed that all the recordings on the new release were taken from the Dec 1st show. (this date is printed on releases, but that’s also true for Nov 29th on all earlier releases)
Now, even if it was entirely filmed on this date, it is uncertain whether this applies to all songs used in the film.

But not about this kind of information. People want the idea of ​​listening to a full live show and so they gave them what they wanted. They would not lie about engineers, of course … more likely misspell them :laughing:

EDIT:
I have added annotations to the merge targets: Recording “School” by Supertramp - MusicBrainz and all others…

EDIT 2: (recording dates)
@Cheezmo’s disambiguations for the recordings (original and 2012 remix) are perfect. I don’t think I should change Dec 1st, although I have doubts about it.

1 Like

Now 9 out of 16 recordings have two recording dates!

Consequently, the Nov 29 date should be removed, but that feels completely wrong. If the majority of recordings had been taken from the Dec 1st show, that date would have been chosen for the original release. And it contradicts Wikipedia and the Hodgson interview (“most of the tracks taken from the Nov 29 show”) :cold_sweat:

EDIT: e.g.

Instead of two dates, two recordings, you change to recording dates in a range. “1979-11-29 - 1977-12-01” this narrows the window down, but also shows the doubt.

2 Likes

…a Solomon decision :slightly_smiling_face:
Edits