Merge proposal: The Supremes / Diana Ross & The Supremes

The Supremes were a Motown singing group during the 60s/70s. Diana Ross was a founding member of the group.
From wikipedia:

During the mid-1960s, the Supremes achieved mainstream success with Ross as lead singer. In 1967, Motown president Berry Gordy renamed the group Diana Ross & the Supremes, and replaced Ballard with Cindy Birdsong. Ross left to pursue a solo career in 1970 and was replaced by Jean Terrell, at which point the group’s name reverted to the Supremes.

Currently, Musicbrainz has separate artists for The Supremes and Diana Ross & The Supremes. I’m proposing that they be merged.

For comparison, another Motown group with a similar history is The Miracles, who were for a period known as Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. These two have been repeatedly merged together.

Does anybody have any objections to this?

Wikipedia has different rules/standards and serves a different purpose than MB. — which is one of the reasons I am no longer there.

I am not fully active in all of the MB features yet. But I do know that there can be relationships, aliases, and subgroups.
Using one of those may be an option, because The Supremes and Diana Ross had separate careers. And the lines between where The Supremes started and ended and where Diana Ross &The Supremes started and ended, they blur and overlap.

I would like to see them merged, with those credited to Diana Ross and the Supremes using artist credits to add Ross.

I wouldn’t merge them either, though I definitely agree we don’t need both entities. Instead, like @Billy_Yank, I’d split it into “Diana Ross & the Supremes” or whatever other join phrase is used. That then has the benefit of showing up on the artist pages for both of them, and is in the same style as what we’d do for “Group feat. Member”.

We’re going to have to merge something. Right now we have three artists “Diana Ross”, “The Supremes” and “Diana Ross and the Supremes”. In the end we’ll have two artists.

Good point, I should have clarified: I don’t think we should simply merge the two Supremes entities, but instead use the more-labour-intensive method of splitting the artist. Looking into that a bit more, though, it seems like we’d first need to remove the existing relationships, and I’m not entirely sure how splitting interacts with the ACs. Any input by anyone more familiar with the process?

I’d say merge into The Supremes (this will retain the “Diana Ross & the Supremes” Artist MBID) and then maybe change the artist credit of “[Diana Ross & the Supremes]” into “[Diana Ross] & [the Supremes]”. I think splitting the artist is the wrong solution here, as we don’t want to drop the Artist MBID on the floor if we can help it, and “Diana Ross & the Supremes” is effectively the same as “The Supremes”, they just added a prominent band member to the artist credit.

Edit: I went ahead and made a merge edit:
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/47475044

Ah, I thought the MBID was redirected on a split as well, though working through now, I’m not sure how that would be handled. In that case, the merge is definitely the better way of doing it. Thanks!