Merge duplicate recordings between two editions of the same album with “mb. MASS MERGE RECORDINGS”

Just run into a problem with the new mandatory edit note.

Was trying to merge recordings of https://musicbrainz.org/release/c1535276-f4d7-418d-9755-aa2e96923543 and https://musicbrainz.org/release/47b7f7b2-1973-45b1-95c8-519b334ff9fb

Used “CD vs digital” as edit note but still got the popup telling me to enter an edit note.

Temporarily disabled new code to make those edits for now.

Edit:
Just found out how the check works:
Edit note field value needs to match regex: /\w{4,}/g and total match count needs to be higher than 3.

if (editNote.value && editNote.value.match(/\w{4,}/g).length > 3)

“CD” and “vs” don’t match that regex and count would be lower than 3 anyway.

Kinda annoying for those who prefer concise notes. Well, I don’t care since I don’t abuse this script, so I just disable it. I guess current check is fine. Only real annoying thing is the popup is triggered for each queued merge. Wanne merge 100 recordings? -> 100 alert dialogs.

1 Like

Got the same pb yesterday and solve it by adding a more longer edit note instead of just “Same ISRC”.

2 Likes

Yes edit note should contain at least four big words (of 4 or more letters) and any amount of conjunctions or small words.

I would like to give this criteria a try, as longer words and sentences are less cryptic.

That’s true.
I did only test for one merge.
It is really ugly indeed.
Due to how the script is written, I have quite some work to do to make only the first alert appear before flushing the merge queue.
In the meantime, you can just reload the page to avoid clicking all these alerts.

What I would like to do is that edit note field remains red and merge buttons disabled until the criteria is met.

4 Likes

I’m not a big fan of the new update. I thought the whole point of the bits like:

:+1: Targetting oldest MBID (90,411 ← 19,212,113)
:+1: Same track title “Milk Cow Blues”
:+1: Same track artist credit (AC) “Kokomo Arnold”
:+1: Very close track times (within 4 seconds: 3:08 ← 3:07)
:+1: Same release artist “Various Artists”

was to provide justification for the merge. Having to put in a comment seems pointless, in most cases.

When I felt the merge needed some additional clarification, I put comments in. But most times, the auto-generated comments tell the whole story.

2 Likes

Then, maybe, you could write that? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t understand – why would I write what has already been written?

1 Like

There I don’t see same release title nor same release group so for me it is really not obvious why those recordings should be merged.

We often have very distinct (live, for instance) recordings of the same song with same length.

5 Likes

Fair enough. I’ll just register my disagreement, and leave it there.

1 Like

One more thing…

It’s “losing”.

5 Likes

FTR, this new edit note request comes from Encouraging Adding Edit Notes topic.

PS. Thanks for the typo, @bflaminio, it’s fixed for next version update

6 Likes

I’m running version 2019.8.26 on Chrome version 76.0.3809.132 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6, and I’m still getting the “Did not queue” error loop. Supposedly this version was supposed to fix that bug…

1 Like

So far I’ve held my tongue on this topic, but now it’s become too much to bear any longer. I’ve been trying to clean up a box set release that was added with all new recordings, and every time I try to initiate merges with the mass-merge script it gets stuck in a loop of “Did not queue.” (This is after I tailored the edit note so as not to produce the new signature error message.) Has anyone else had this problem?

2 Likes

It’s now fixed, @HibiscusKazeneko. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not for me, it isn’t. I have the latest version installed and it still doesn’t work.
Edit: I reinstalled the script a few seconds ago and it still gives the “did not queue” error message loop.

1 Like

Please report error in either https://github.com/jesus2099/konami-command/issues/455 or Merge duplicate recordings between two editions of the same album with “mb. MASS MERGE RECORDINGS” giving as much relevant details as possible (MASS MERGE version, browser name, version, userscript engine name, version, release URLs). Because it works for me. :slight_smile:

Works for me too, and I previously had the problem described by @HibiscusKazeneko.

1 Like

What is your script engine? Violentmonkey? Greasemonkey? Tampermonkey? What version? :slight_smile:
It bugs for all releases or only a specific?

I’m running Tampermonkey v. 4.8.41. AFAIK the mass merge script is the only script that isn’t working correctly.

1 Like

FTR, it wasn’t my intention to force everybody to write edit notes with this tool (just the merge helper one), especially not ones with a certain unknown minimum text limit.

If the auto generated edit note of this tool shows that the releases are related (same release title, same release group or same release artist which is not VA) then for me that would be enough.

6 Likes

Good point that I could lower the expectations when requirements like these are met.
The edit note explanation verbosity expectation could be contextual.

That said I am very happy with some edit notes I now see in the vote queue. Tons of edits that I did not understand before those new explanatory edit notes.

5 Likes