Merge duplicate recordings between two editions of the same album with “mb. MASS MERGE RECORDINGS”

very strange. can i monitor somehow what the script is doing or not doing and post the result?

1 Like

Initiate the merges and see the console (press F12, click Console) for error messages.

FWIW, it doesn’t work for me either. It’s up to date, and I’m using Firefox 86.0 on Windows 10. There are no error messages in the console.

1 Like

@HumHumXX @XonE
I will track this bug in:

3 Likes

just quickly:
i also watched the console, but either i don’t know where to look exactly or i did not get errors.

1 Like

So all of you are using Greasemonkey extension?
Not Violentmonkey? Not Tampermonkey?

After days of trying to reproduce with my usual Violentmonkey (but on 7 different browsers, including Firefox 86.0), I eventually tried with Tampermonkey (OK too) then Greasemonkey!

Here it is! I have the bug with Greasemonkey! :tada:

But in fact, I thought no userscripts would run at all any more in Greasemonkey since their v4.
I am very surprised if you are using it.

@XonE @HumHumXX @Misty_Pond @Freso
Please confirm that it’s your case before I start debugging in Greasemonkey.
And please tell me the version of Greasemonkey you have. They might have broken something recently.

It seems to be a new Greasemonkey specific bug:

I cannot do anything about it myself except advise Violentmonkey, once again. :wink:
Even if Violentmonkey is not perfect, its GUI is not as slick, but it has always been working well when Greasemonkey broke things after things.

1 Like

thank you, i transferred now to violentmonkey. i like the dashboard and also some other plugins seem to work again!

1 Like

It stopped working yesterday and looking at some of the editor notes it’s definitely not just me.
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/80725804
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/80722449
Could this be related to the latest server update?
Just thought it might be worth writing here because I’ve been using this script fairly often.

2 Likes

You guessed it right, it’s since the server update. :innocent:
Particularly, the React/hydrate conversion of the Release page, which hindered several scripts, including MASS MERGE RECORDINGS:

7 Likes

I’m giving this one a try (with TamperMonkey), but it’s stuck showing “Fetching recordings…” after pasting the MBID URL, even though the title of the release is shown immediately. I also tried with GreaseMonkey, with the same results.

The script still does not work in case of too many tracks but I still release my current version to the public, as it works in most cases.

:warning: Releases with collapsed mediums are only supported on beta.musicbrainz.org until the next MBS server release

:stop_sign: Releases with paginated tracks are not yet supported.

4 Likes

Doesn’t appear to be fixed. Are you still maintaining it?

The script is not abandoned, but I am fixing collection highlighter first (it is more important for me and I have little time available).

But for mass merge bugs, @mrgou, what releases are you on?
The script is still supposed to work for 99.99% of the releases, as far as I know.

One of these releases with paginated mediums, maybe?

Remote releases with paginated medium with more than 100 tracks are the only not supported case.

If only one of the two releases has more than 100 tracks on a medium, use it as the local release and use the other release as remote release.

Local releases with paginated medium with more than 100 tracks are supported.
The script will load all local mediums and tracks, even paginated, before loading remote release.

1 Like

I was unable to mass-merge the releases of this group: Release group “Heavenly” by E-Dancer - MusicBrainz

Nothing happens when I paste the ID of the remote release.

Edit: it actually works when pasting the URL rather than the MBID.

1 Like

Yes, I never pasted the MBID.
Why making it complex when it can be simple. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Oh, the script says paste the remote release URL or MBID… I will fix this!

I see that URL is required since 2015.
@mrgou, I can either allow MBID paste or update the online help to only mention the URL paste:

Did you have any reason to paste MBID rather than URL? Want it more tedious to copy only MBID?

By the way, you don’t have the same error as before:

1 Like

No, it was only because it was in the instructions. But you’re right, URL is easier, so you’re better off just updating the instructions.

1 Like

mergeRecsStep function broke due to Remove action={$c.req.uri} · metabrainz/musicbrainz-server@2ab8141 · GitHub

Remove action="' + MBS.replace(/[./]/g, "\\$&") + '\\/recording\\/merge\\?returnto=([^"]+)?"

so the line looks like
this.responseText.match(new RegExp('<form method="post">'))

It goes without saying that parsing HTML with regular expressions is generally a bad idea.

3 Likes

Thank you for your debugging!
I created a ticket for that:

Update

It’s fixed.

4 Likes

Hi @a23bed, could you check if you still have this bug with Tampermonkey when not on debug level?

I have tested today and could not reproduce.