Map MusicBrainz artist data (type, gender, area) to artists in personal listening data (spotify/last.fm)

Hi all,

I am wanting to do some analysis on my personal listening data over the last 12 months. I have a simple csv list of ‘scrobbles’ from Last.FM (uts,utc_time,artist,artist_mbid,album,album_mbid,track,track_mbid) and a more detailed set from Spotify across multiple tables. When looking for richer artist information online I found MusicBrainz which had some extra fields which I would love to join with this data (type, gender, area).

In my head, I imagined using an SQL query or two and/or Pandas to access MusicBrainz and pull this additional artist information (type, gender, area) for each artist in my list of listened tracks. Naturally, I don’t think it will be that easy.

My question is, do you think this is feasible? Using the search function on the site seems to be only for one artist at a time and doesnt present the information as a table like I hoped. Is there an existing tool that could accomplish this or has anyone tried before? I had a quick search of this forum but couldnt find anything but it could well be out there. I also looked into downloading the data but I got a bit lost and thought I might come here to see if anyone smarter than me had already figured it out :stuck_out_tongue:. Im still an SQL noobie (Part of the point of this project to learn more)

Thanks!

3 Likes