Live recording released in two parts

More diificulties with Nektar… Their show on 1974-09-28 was recorded and released on several releases. There was a power cut during the performance of Remember The Future, Part 1. The band continued where they left off after power was restored. On most releases, the power cut was cut out, but on the last two re-issues, the power cut was left in.

On one of the releases, the whole song with power cut is presented as a single CD index:

On another release, there are two CD indices, resulting in these recordings:

Personally I would prioritise a recording over a CD index, since it’s a bit arbitrary with long suites of continuous music or live recordings. All releases are taken from the one and only recording that was made by a radio station so wherever a record label adds a track index I’d mark that as the same recording, but I don’t know if MB uses the same prioritisation.

So for MB, do we have three recordings in this case? RTF1, RTF1: Start, and RTF1: Conclusion?
All three would then be linked to the same work, with the last two marked as ‘partial’.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

I guess if you stitch RTF1: Start, and RTF1: Conclusion together there is an overlap? So some editing is required to create RTF1? Therefore, in that case these are three separate recordings. But relationships can link them together.

Well, overlap, perhaps one or two beats or bars. Yes, some editing was most likely involved.

Three separate recordings, that makes sense. Thanks.

1 Like

It is a single Work (RTF1), but you have have two performances.

One is a single Recording of the Work.

The other is a Medley of recordings of Start and Conclusion.

1 Like

All clear now, thanks!!

1 Like

Oh wait… what do you mean by “performance”?

Ignore that word. I just plucked it from my head. It is not a normal MB term.

I probably should have said “different Recordings”. I was trying to find a way of showing the two separate editions of this. One being an entity made from two edited parts with the power cut trimmed out of the middle. The other being those two parts left unedited.

It is the same “performance” in the English language.

Please provide links to all the relevant recordings, a quick search and I was able to find this one (which I’m guessing has the power cut taken out?):

Where is the full (or original) recording that includes the power cut?

This is one of the releases that contains the full recording, including the power cut:

There was an earlier release with this that is not on MB yet (Eclectic release of Live In New York, the first release with the full show). I will add it later.

Oh, I see, it’s split into two. I thought you meant there was a release where the full recording (including the power cut) was available on one track.

Tricky situation, it might be best to create a standalone recording to represent the full (unedited) recording, then you could link the shorter (edited) recordings using the recording-recording “edit” relationship.

EDIT: Later information makes this unnecessary

Thanks!

Yes, this Nektar entry is giving me headaches… So many different situations and track title differences, long suites played in parts, used on compilations in different ways. But we’ll get there! :wink:

1 Like

On oddity of the GUI is setting the order of a medley.

If you are in the Edit Relationships page of a Release you cannot set the order. You can add the parts here.

If you go to the actual Recording you then see an extra edit box allowing that order to be fixed.

Thanks! I did manage to set the order of the medley, though. GUI has been fixed, I guess? :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Funny thing is that what we call now recording used to be called performance in MB.

1 Like

:laughing: So it went from performance to recording and now it’s more like a version of a recording…

It was already the case, thus the name change. And recording version would indeed be more faithful but it’s too long. :wink:

the audio represented by a recording corresponds to the audio at a stage in the production process … after any editing or mixing.

The history makes sense. I see a “Recording” as a copy of a single performance. I visualise the actual reel of tape in the recording studio.

In this example we would have three different bits of tape representing what was heard. A “two tape” copy of the original recording. And a “one tape” copy made by duplicating the “two tape” copy and cleaning up where they are cut together. Each Recording is therefore unique, but related.

A single performance has lead to multiple Recordings. It makes sense why MB has moved to that Recording term as it is a better description of what MB has in the database.

It would be a Compilation rather than a Medley.

Medley = A single Recording referencing multiple Works
Compilation (as a recording relationship) = A single Recording combining multiple other Recordings

3 Likes

I have always used “medley” because that was the one that is offered when I am editing a Release using the Edit Relationships page.

I have now gone to a recording and can see there is a difference. Medley puts to WORKs together, Compilation puts RECORDINGs together.

BUT - in this case is it really a “Compilation”? There is a little bit missing when Part 1 and Part 2 to are stitched together. May only be half a bar, but is that enough to make it a totally different recording?

If I disregard the common definition of “recording” and use the MB one I have been taught the last couple of days, I guess it should. It’s how I understand it to work now so for now I guess I’ll go that way.

So I am going to use different recordings for these cases:

• edits, even if half a bar is missing (like the example above)
  • edits not in the music but in the applause before and after the song (which often happens when a live track from an album of the whole show is used on a compilation album)
  • when different releases have different track durations only because of the one doing the mastering or artwork:
    • live albums that get a re-issue with exactly the same recording except different start indices of the tracks
    • studio albums with long suites (Nektar’s first album and Recycled) where the division of tracks is rather arbitrary
    • live LPs where the track durations cannot even be checked and can be entirely wrong

I’ll have to revisit all my edits, I’ll just start from the first album again.

Maybe I’ll go and add disambiguation tags on all recordings first to make life easier…

1 Like