List of native ListenBrainz API apps and in development apps

Have you thought about adding Chrome Cast support?
There seems to be a library for java that you should be able to use.

2 Likes

Good one, had not thought about it yet, as I’m not a Chromecast user yet. I’ll do some research.

I’ll make a wiki page with my plans.

I’m a developer of a Portuguease multilanguage Web application that uses MusicBrainz and YouTube metadata to listen music. Now I added full native ListenBrainz scrobble support on beta stage.

Musicoteca Beta: https://beta.musicoteca.ml/

pt-BR: https://pt.musicoteca.ml/
en: https://en.musicoteca.ml/

2 Likes

Pano Scrobbler! My favorite scrobbler to use - I wish it wasn’t just for Android

They just recently pushed out ListenBrainz support, however it only “listens” - no viewing or loving in the UI - yet. Also, currently you must have a last.fm account configured within the app to get the app UI to function correctly… WIP but it works well for submitting data :slight_smile: (( Also supports custom ListenBrainz servers))

I vouch for this app as a daily user, and I use it to Scrobble to last.fm and Listen @ ListenBrainz, simutaniously.

No Ads. No Premium.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arn.scrobble&hl=en_CA

1 Like

It’s Official Web-Scrobbler version 2.9.0

If using web-scrobbler and you’re trying the whole FOSS OSH, save the internet bizness… try disabling google analytics in web-scrobbler options cause that’d be against your beliefs probably.

I have been using Multi-Account Scrobblers for years…

as oz10h on github I was the guy who added support for Simple Last.fm Scrobbler and Web Scrobbler. oz10h is one of my github accounts it’s a short form of my name austin hogan.

humblebeebumblebeedebugs is another one but I lost access to the account through my own stupidity. I mucked up the project SLS almost and will have to contact the original developer to make any major required updates.

I am currently building a brand new scrobbler for android that should solve most of the major issues I had while I tried to modernize and refactor Simple Last.fm Scrobbler. A client with all the functionality and options and more that any of the last.fm and any of the similar apps have ever offered.
I am also using Go the programming language to build my own variant of a scrobbling (metadata recording) service which I intend to use the android client. I will also add support in web-scrobbler.That should cover most people’s devices except iOS for now. I purchased the domain listenfreak.org and a little amazon server to really start testing and programming. This time with gitea a gogs variant which is a github variant utlimately. I purchased the domain listenfreak.org (it’s a dead site for now) to see if I could get the ball rolling and let me know if you read this, if that name is cool or not. Sooo that’s it.

I know some say why reinvent the wheel.
Well I am trying make metadata music sites “fly”.

I have really wasted/spent some time reading and testing the libre.fm/listenbrainz.org code bases and the features of the big 3 music metadata sites and think I can really improve them and give the avid music listener control over all the functionality each api has to offer, and hopefully I have enough tricks up my sleeve that they’ll stick with listenfreak.org instead of any of the others. However listenfreak will have functionality to interact with each of the other 3.
The same goes for scrobbling apps. I have seen many implementations but not one app that won my metadata heart… I really think it would be nice if the user had full control over the api if they wanted it and also full control over local storage options should they want that too. So you could store everything off grid if you desired and stuff like that. Or run the server on your home network and scrobble everything when you get home. Select when, where and how your metadata is created. I think there are lots of cool features that could be in the server itself like a build guide and settings guide. Same goes for the apps.

BTW I looked at pScrobbler too. I think it’s probably the best one out there.

Well. If you think that’s cool let me know. Feedback is important, but I will probably build them both either way for my own personal use if nothing else.

2 Likes

Strawberry Music Player supports Listenbrainz as of version 0.5.1. It supports Linux, BSD’s and Windows.
You can find it here: https://www.strawbs.org/

4 Likes

Thank you for your work on SLS over the years. It is a reliable scrobbling app for me over the years, especially when Last.fm’s mobile applications were almost non-existent.

I know you are an experienced developer, but consider getting involved with an upstream project. The amount of overhead on you as a developer in your free time is high. Since the early 2000s, there were several ambitious projects aspiring to capitulate over Last.fm’s dominance. Many ended up in developer burnout because of overwhelming project requirements to account for several moving parts (e.g. different services) and/or lack of engagement from the community. My belief is in supporting an active upstream project and working with a community to accomplish ambitious goals.

Sadly, Libre.fm is almost entirely dead, but work on ListenBrainz is slow but continuous. I have faith from MetaBrainz’s previous portfolio of work that ListenBrainz will see it through and do things the right way (it’s one reason why I’m still active in this community too).

Of course you are able to do whatever you like, but it would be awesome to have more developers with a track record like yourself contribute to and help projects like ListenBrainz. :slightly_smiling_face:

Something to consider. Thanks again for your years of work holding the fort with SLS.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Getting MBIDs submitted with Google Play Music Desktop Player

In-development apps which may add native ListenBrainz support in the future

foobar2000

3 Likes

I added my Kodi ListenBrainz addon to the list in the OP just now.

1 Like

@Freso, could you edit the foobar2000 entry in the first post. Just remove the JScript Panel link and associated discussion link. The LB script will likely be removed from that component package in the next few weeks.

Just the link for my proper ListenBrainz 2 component should remain.

Also, it doesn’t need expert knowledge. Like any player plugin, it just requires entering a user token in the preferences - no implementation can escape that! edit: didn’t read the section header properly

Thanks.

2 Likes

I think the post was put in Wiki mode and you should actually be able to edit the post yourself. But I removed the link to the script. And thanks a lot for your foobar2000 components.#

EDIT: I also updated the list to indicate that Rhythmbox since version 3.4.4 includes the ListenBrainz plugin

2 Likes

I recently released the stable version of a MusicBee plugin

7 Likes

We’d really appreciate a pull request adding the stable clients to https://github.com/metabrainz/listenbrainz-server/blob/d9d73905/listenbrainz/webserver/templates/index/api-docs.html#L12. We link to this page from the LB home page.

Perhaps clients need their own page? Hiding them away on a page labelled “api docs” is going to hurt discovery for the average user who doesn’t know or care what “api” even means.

2 Likes

Yep, we have a ticket for that. Just haven’t been able to get to it yet.

Well you and the LB team have been making some impressive progress recently so thanks again for all your work.

3 Likes

Hi, not sure if you wanted to add this here but I added ListenBrainz support to a simple OBS overlay. It might be helpful for streamers.

3 Likes

another solution is to use funkwhale webapp in any platform o/ (works well on android too as a webapp)

funkwhale android app is in development. But it seems there is a need of developpers funkwhale / Funkwhale Android · GitLab

Time to add iOS to the list :slight_smile:

I’ve recently added ListenBrainz support to my album-focussed music player for iOS, Longplay.

3 Likes