Lazy liner notes for distribution and marketing

I focus on Polygram releases that are released in Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia. Typically, the release packaging will list the distribution and marketing company as so:

Marketed and distributed by Polygram Records, Ltd. Hong Kong/Singapore/Malaysia.

This means that this release group (not necessarily this particular release) has releases marketed and distributed by Polygram Records Ltd. (Hong Kong subsidiary), Polygram Records Pte Ltd. (Singapore subsidiary) and PolyGram Records Sdn. Bhd. (Malaysia subsidiary). All these companies are listed on the packaging despite that the release is only released in one location. For example, I know for sure that the Malaysian subsidiary did not play a role in distributing the release sold in Singapore, but nonetheless it is listed on the Singapore edition.

Should I input all three companies for release-level relationships, even when not all three have actually played a role in marketing/distributing a release?

2 Likes

But the release itself is physically the same in the three countries, and I guess they are manufactured at the same CD plant.
I have at least one of such, I have kept it as one release because I guessed they did one big CD batch for the three countries.

2 Likes

If everything else for the (physical) release is the same, I’d say yes. You can enter three separate release events and some of the relevant relationships I think can maybe take country as an attribute? (If not, make a STYLE ticket. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

I agree that when the physical releases are identical that they should be the same release on MB, but usually there are some slight differences in the liner notes. But take this as an example. This Malaysian release lists Universal Hong Kong/Singapore/Malaysia/Canada for marketing, but includes the address of the office of Universal Music Malaysia. Should all four Universal subsidiaries be entered as marketing companies?

2 Likes

Here is, for instance, my 3 country release:

I assumed it was the same, physically, sold in 3 countries.
There are several different editions with same catalogue number in my case, actually. I have just added a new « Made in Korea » edition that is not mine.

1 Like

Oh I must check that on my tri‐country release, thanks!

1 Like