I need help with a making many edits to a CD box set release

Hello,
I’m asking for advise about what to do in a case where I’ve added a new release to the MusicBrainz database, but the release has been damaged by hundreds of edits by other users.

The issue is that it would be extremely tedious to correct all of the changes. I haven’t found an option to revert the changes. It’s a box set with 10 discs and hundreds of tracks.

It appears that the edits have been automatically applied. I had no chance or option to vote against.

This is the release: http://musicbrainz.org/release/15e8a380-db9f-458d-bd81-256b41df9a33

I’ve gone back to double the info against me my CD’s and track lists, so I was able to confirm that my original entry was correct.

What can be done to correct the damage and prevent this from happening in the future?

Classical releases in MusicBrainz follow Classical Style Guide and it seems to me that most of the edits were made to fix this to follow our guidelines.

Hi!

I was the one editing this release, mostly to make it follow the classical and language guidelines. I also made some extra changes for consistency. For example, on CD 8 I:

Sadly, I just noticed when doing that last change I overlooked that my search & replace also changed some tempo marking divisions to be colons - that’s wrong and I’ll look into it :slight_smile:

If you find more problems like the last one I mentioned, don’t hesitate to let me know and I’ll try to fix them! But in general, most of the changes should just be fairly straightforward guideline fixes.

1 Like

Hi @reosarevok,
Thanks for replying. I’m on board with all those edits regarding the style guidelines, and thanks for making them.

I copied the Disc Titles directly from the CD cases, but I don’t really care about that, so we’ll just leave them blank.

The biggest problem I’m having is with track names. For example: Disc 2 is completely different than the Disc 2 in the box set I have, even though I used Picard to add the release. Perhaps the discs are out of order. I’ll go back and look at this in more detail later when I have more time.

Thanks for your reply! This was really helpful in figuring out what’s wrong.

1 Like

Hmm. That’d explain why the disc titles didn’t match the disc contents! Let me know and I can auto-edit the reordering too if needed :slight_smile:

I just reordered the discs andnow they are matching up in Picard. That seemed to fix the problem. I think the edit was automatically applied.

Should I enter the disc titles again?

Oooh, I didn’t realise that was an autoedit. Awesome!

Depends. If they’re printed on the discs themselves as some sort of title, I’d say yeah, adding them would be fine (remember to follow the guidelines for those too though :slight_smile: )

A post was split to a new topic: Problems entering new album

A post was merged into an existing topic: Problems entering new album