How to understand two different IFPIs on one real CD-Audio disc?

I am entering my CDs into the MB database.

I noticed that some releases have two IFPIs.

One is mould, the other is mastering.

I usually introduce notes in this order.

I already found out. :wink:

From this link:

https://www.rushmediaprint.com/cd-matrix-code-and-sid-codes/

But why don’t all labels follow this pattern?

Out of laziness or technical reasons?
|
|
|
Example of my edit:

https://musicbrainz.org/edit/111758378

I’m not sure if I understood correctly.

The edit note is very good and allows the exact identification of the disc. :slight_smile:

The usual order is like on Discogs:

1. Matrix code (in your example 07314 533 845-2 04 +50991022)
  2. Mastering SID (e.g. IFPI LV27)
  3. Mould SID (e.g. IFPI 0125)

Points 1. and 2. specify the glass master and identify a disc with a specific content and disc ID
Point 3., the mould SID tells us where it was pressed, but even if the disc would have been pressed by another plant, the disc ID would be the same.

1 Like

OK.

I will write in Note in this order.

But sometimes there is only one IFPI.

What it comes from?

1 Like

There are many circumstances that can cause a missing SID (apart from being overlooked¹):
Glass master and discs may be manufactured at different plants and one of them does not use IFPI codes.
Mid-1990s discs often have only mould SID, because SIDs were already implemented, but the glass master was made before implementation.
It also happens, that plants drop out of the IFPI system and old machines still press mould SIDs.

By the rules, if SID codes are used, they have to be used on all their machines (LBRs and moulds)

¹) as I said before: Only matrix code and mastering SID are relevant for the disc ID, therefore the mould SID can remain unmentioned in edit notes for disc IDs

or you meant “edit note” ? :wink:

Your example was an edit note and it was written the way I would like to have it for all Add disc ID and Set track lengths edits. :+1:

We already agreed on this a few days ago. :wink:

1 Like

The other reason there can seem to be only one IFPI code is they can be REALLY hard to see. I ended up buying a cheap USB microscope to read them. Even then it can be a challenge to locate them. :grin:

1 Like

I have x10 magnification

l1

but I will buy x20

:wink:

3 Likes

I bought it on Polish Allegro for 7£ :wink:

There is also delivery from China for 3£.

I make a scan of the disc at 600ppi for that reason!

Free will. :wink:

(20 characters)

I started with high resolution scans - my scanner has a very lateral light source and is very good for this purpose - but some mould SIDs still remained hidden although the were visible to the naked eye. It’s not that the mould SID is too small, but it’s just moulded into the plastic and only visible through its shadow, and this is often very faint.

I recommend Ivan’s microscope → How to understand two different IFPIs on one real CD-Audio disc? - #10 by IvanDobsky
It’s perfect for this purpose (actually mostly for this purpose - it can be connected to the phone, but it’s too fragile for outdoor use and the resolution is not sufficient for really tiny things - it can’t replace a proper microscope)
(you should not use the built-in light source - a torch (or any light source) in your hand provides light, that casts shadows)

If it’s not about capturing images, a good magnifying glass will also do → How to understand two different IFPIs on one real CD-Audio disc? - #9 by Echelon69 :slight_smile:

I also used to try the scanner - even knocked it up to 1200dpi. Light just would not go in the right places to catch both codes. Especially the Mould SID.

That cheapo Chinese microscope does the job well. I plug it into my PC and just use Win10’s camera app. Nothing fancy needed. Can still take a bit of hunting \ focusing to locate them.

I have to admit it is fun to take into the woods and look at moss \ bugs \ etc with a phone. Or rocks \ crystals. I have certainly got my moneys worth out of that little toy. :grin:

1 Like

Nice ideas as usual. :wink:

No irony.

I recommend the hiView app from the Microsoft Store.

Built-in light, 45 degree angle.

1 Like

@ernstlx

Such a case:

I have a CD in my hand.

The Disc Id is already in the release data, the tracks are already set correctly by someone else.

Question:

Where should I enter Matrix codes because I do not have the option of “Add Disc ID” or “Set track length”.

You don’t have to add it anew, if the disc ID is already attached. But you could search for the Add disc ID/Set track lengths edits in the history and add a confirmation note (“confirmed disc ID for matrix …”)

1 Like