How to sort recordings of an artist by date in web or API

Hi,

I would like to build a list of an artist’s recordings by date because I like to know the progression of an artist. Besides, each recording would have a link to where to listen to it. And maybe if you click on a recording you are presented with alternative recordings by that artist.

Eventually, an enriched version of this Recordings list of Nathan Milstein.

1. I don’t know how to sort the recordings page by date so I can have that basic info in MB page directly. Is that possible?

2. I have browsed the API but I haven’t found an easy endpoint to have an artist’s recordings sorted by date. How would you build such a list?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Miguel.

1 Like

This is an example album for artist Nathan Milstein, where I have just added stream links to the Release and each of its recordings (this one for example)

This way, if I find a way to fetch recordings list by date from API this info should be there so I can link to spotify and listen to the recording immediately.

Thanks!

Some API calls I’ve identified are:

As you see limited capabilites for fetching sorted info, or relationships without making thousand calls to API. Any other ideas I’m missing? Maybe downloading the whole MB database and producing date by myself? :frowning:

Thank you!

Recordings do not typically have dates but releases do use dates.
You will probably need to get a list of recordings by the artist and make api call to get a list of releases where that recording is found and find the earliest date.
api documentation
You will want to add a few inc= statements to get more info each call such as &inc=url-rels+work-rels to get url’s and work names in the same call.