How to handle "Artist presents Artist" releases

How should you handle a release when the cover just says “Artist A presents Artist B”.

Version 1:

• Artist: Artist B
  • Title: Artist A presents Artist B

Version 2:

• Artist: Artist A presents Artist B
  • Title: Artist B

Version 3:

• Title: Artist A presents Artist B

Version 4:

• Title: [untitled]

Version 5:

• Title: presents Artist B
  • Version 1
  • Version 2
  • Version 3
  • Version 4
  • Version 5
  • Depends (please leave comment)
  • Other (please leave comment)

0 voters

I may disagree with the some of the edits, but this is correct according to the people involved with the edits and the discussions on the forums that we had over way to put it out.

The release you linked to has a title apart from “Artist A presents Artist B”, so there it’s quite obvious how to handle it.

I would definitely do this. We’d do that for every other self-titled album, and I don’t see a reason why this one should be different just because of the “presents” bit.

4 Likes

I agree with your reasoning, but I do know one reason why it might be different: The “Artist A presents” part is often written much smaller on the cover making it appear like “Artist B” is the title.

3 Likes

First i want to thank paulakreuzer for pointing to the to forums here.

The artist of the album, be it group or indiviual should the only mention in “Album Artist”. A has no ownership or accountablilty in regards to the album (regardless of if A actually performs on some tracks).

The case that brought me here is: dead prez presents M‐1

Confidential is the debut solo album by rapper M-1 (from the hip-hop duo dead prez)”

The artist is M-1 … it just so happens that he is also a member of the group Dead Prez but that is irrelevant.

Forgive me, I know i’m knew here, but just because things have been done a certain way doesn’t make them absolutely correct.

Including “A presents …” within the albumartist field is innacurate and a bit messy. I could be wrong, but I have to doubt that anyone looking for such an album will ever expect that to appear as album artist.

Version 1 is exactly how i think it should be

Similar to SpookyElectric’s comment above, I’m feeling like perhaps we should keep the primary artist as who would generally be considered the primary artist.

Consider the following, Release “Target Practice” by Killarmy presents Shogun Assason aka Mr Pistol - MusicBrainz. The artist for this album is really Shogun Assason (aka Mr Pistol) and he is a member of Killarmy. Crediting Killarmy first seems incorrect to me. What about the following proposal:

Current title: Target Practice
Current artist: Killarmy [1] presents Shogun Assason aka Mr Pistol [2]

Proposed title: Killarmy Presents: Target Practice
Proposed artist: Shogun Assason aka Mr Pistol [2]

Another proposal:

Proposed title: Target Practice
Proposed artist: Shogun Assason aka Mr Pistol [2] presented by Killarmy

I don’t really like how this changes the tense of ‘presents’ from the artwork. Anyone have thoughts or other examples?

1 Like

If Shogun Assason is a member of Killarmy than, yes, I would credit it Shogun Assason as “Killarmy presents Shogun Assaon aka Mr Pistol”. Seems similar to when you see credits like, example, Patrick Stump as “Patrick Stump of Fallout Boy”. We don’t credit Fallout Boy.

2 Likes

In your 2 examples, Fallout Boy is not involved but Killarmy is involved, as it is presenting.

So we could think of having a credit link for Killarmy.

2 Likes

I learned very recently that you don’t credit Fallout Boy in those cases, it was very confusing for me at first…

But if he’s a member, are they really involved or is it just a way for him to help his solo project? I suppose if they really are involved than I see no issue with listing them.