I have a few releases from a local music school that give an overview of its repertoire (mostly classical music and jazz). The recordings were done either by single students or various ensembles/orchestras/bands of the school.
- Some of the students have become professional musicians, others have not
- Some of the groups are quite renowned (have existed for decades, won numerous awards, have a unique name, have their own homepage, toured internationally), others have very generic names (“symphony orchestra”), and still others are basically one‐off projects with a unique name.
- The front cover and spine have the release title and the name of the music school on it
- The back cover lists the track titles with the composers
- The booklet lists the recording artists
What option (if any) would you choose for the following:
- Various Artists
- Various Artists credited as LocalMusicSchool
- Add LocalMusicSchool as an artist
- Create a new artist, e.g. “Symphony orchestra of LocalMusicSchool”
- LocalMusicSchool credited as GenericName
- Create a new artist, e.g. “FancyName”
- LocalMusicSchool credited as FancyName
- Credit only the “famous” musicians
- Add a new artist for every performer
(In the last case, I intend to add every performer as an artist. Even if insignificant, they are now part of music history. I mean, except for the choir of 7‐year‐olds, the musicianship is probably (definitely) higher than for many “professional” artists)
What would you do?