How should I fix these track listings?

I’ve come across a CD release I think has poor quality tags for the track titles. For reference, they are:
here and here.

The two releases are completely identical with the sole exception of one version being pressed and released in the UK, and the other in the US. Everything else is the same: liner notes, mastering, and so on. In the databases here, however, the tracklists are not only different, but also both lacking in my opinion. However, there are some oddities with the formatting and I’d like some guidance.

The art section in the US release page has a high-res version of the tracklist, which seems like the best source to reference, which I will link here.

So my question is, would the correct move be to simply change everything to be 1:1 accurate with the way it is stylized there? I do find stylizing the multi-part tracks as “Paraiso - 1” and “Paraiso - 2” for example to be somewhat ugly, but it is unquestionably the way they do it. Both versions in the database here have fully dropped the hyphens.

And what about the first track? Is that a full-width tilde ( ~) or a wave dash ( 〜)? I believe it’s a wave dash, but Unicode messed up the direction and most things still render them incorrectly (including this site!). Should it have leading and trailing spaces? No, right? On here, the tags either replace the symbol with an em dash or a hyphen, both of which seem incorrect to me.

The UK pressing’s database entry also replaces every hyphen in the tracklist with an em dash, something that is absolutely not the way it is done in the liner notes. That does seem to be a bit more of a judgment call (aside from the surrounding spaces which as I understand it is never the correct way to use em dashes), but personally I don’t think em dashes especially make sense in this context.

Both versions in the database also change the “J.P.YEN” part of the first track to “J P Yen”, and also spell the word “Ballad” wrong, but I think that’s not up for question in its incorrectness.

My instinct would be to make everything the way it looks in the liner notes, but I could be wrong and I’d like to know what you all think. How would you do it? Thanks! And sorry if I’m being confusing at all, I should’ve been asleep a long time ago and I’m not super lucid!

2 Likes

I would definitely restore the punctuation as shown on the cover…

I’m unsure about the ‘wave dash’ in the first track. Normally I would say use the symbol, but if nobody, including web browsers, will display it correctly, it may make more sense to use the em dash. But that would be the only em dash in the track list. I think it’s clear that the rest are hyphens.

3 Likes

In short, it’s easy, be it as separator or as brackets, we should never use FULLWIDTH TILDE, only WAVE DASH is meant for that.

The others should be EN DASH, not HYPHEN.
EN DASH is a separator (can be used unique or as brackets), HYPHEN is a link between two words.

2 Likes