How do you find out where your album was released?

you would only see it in Christian based stores and even then it is likely to be newer releases if it is a small store same with most Christian music if it was hillsong on the other hand or someone even more well know thay may then pop up in other stores as well

when i contacted koorong they said “quite a few of these CDs are brought in from overseas”
it is hard to know what ones i have are from koorong as a lot of them were purchased when i was young

I try and picture what is going on. In this example, there is only one factory, producing one set of discs. One set of artwork is produced with the USA addresses. And that is then sold on to every one else. So it is USA.

(Thanks @Freso for clearing up Website sales in my head.)

All of these Christian stores are making separate orders for their discs for sale. They contact Steve’s distributor in Tennessee and buy their separate stock.

If Steve had wanted to sell more copies into Aus then he would have got a contract with an Australia distributor to actively run around the country promoting his product and supplying other stores for sale.

In my (simplified) eyes: if Steve has an Aussie team putting in the effort to do the sales then that is an Aus release. If the Aus stores are contacting Steve for copies to sell then that is a USA release.

Koorong’s response of “brought in from overseas” says import to me.

4 Likes

yer the only thing that is giving me hesitation about usa is that 2 of them dont say distributed in usa thay only have canada witch makes me ask why is it saying only canada if it is a usa release. would it not say distributed in usa if it was a usa release? or distributed in usa and canada if it was released in both? to me distributed means that is were the owner is actively selling that release

1 Like

This is where Doubt creeps in and probably points to leaving the country blank.

I’d be looking for patterns of what Steve’s company seem to be doing. Which companies he is employing to distribute the discs over the years.

I’d also be looking around for old news articles and interviews to see if he ever talks about a “Canadian fan base” or “Canadian Releases”. Has the guy ever put out a biography?

For example, these two discs could be at a time that Steve did his own USA distribution, but had a separate company in Canada doing distribution. He could then be cutting corners and only printing one set of artwork then the Canadian company is the only one to be credited. It would still be a USA release in that case.

OR it could be that these are Canadian releases, but when Koolong put in an order for some discs Steve just grabbed the first box of discs to hand. And shipped Canadian market disc to Australia for sale. (I’ve had Amazon do this to me - I have an Argentine market disc, for a US Artist, purchased new in the UK)

If I had more time I’d be looking into Sparrow. Seems to me like these are a USA project of his to spread his music into the States.

This is the problem - you can’t really be sure. I’d probably put it down as USA due to the other Releases being aimed at that market. In most cases with Steve there are only one version of a Release.

1 Like

Haha - hang on @st3v3p - I just realised this is Steve Green. I was confusing him with Steve Grace.

So many Steve’s… I’m getting them confused. :smiley:

Looking at Steve Green’s page of releases and reading the Wikipedia articles I think you’ll be on a fairly safe bet with these being USA releases. https://musicbrainz.org/artist/72ccd9f2-9436-4746-8110-95f981e57cfc/releases

1 Like

Other little notes I’ll add:

When I look at an artist like Steve Green with loads of partial data like that there are a few other items I’d do.

Looking at Steve and his website - have you ever seen any mention at ALL of Vinyl? Cassettes? It seems clear that this guy only releases CDs.

So again going back to that MB list of Release for Steve, I’d be a little unsure about the first couple of 1984 items as they could be tapes as there are less tracks, but otherwise I’d be fairly certain they are all CDs after that.

Especially this example: https://musicbrainz.org/release/e8e32637-86d9-4a9c-a120-46671066deb9

Look at that one and click on the discID tab. And there are two discIDs attached to this release. So you can be 98% certain that this came from a standard CD.

Yes, it is technically possible that it was an Enhanced CD or SACD, but with Steve that is unlikely. He keeps it simple. In this example I’d be setting most of those with a discID to be medium = CD.

1 Like

the old ones have been sold on tape as well as cd not sure about vinle
here is one of the albums released on tape as well as cd at the same time https://www.discogs.com/Steve-Green-Hide-Em-In-Your-Heart-Songs-With-Steve-Green/release/4289028

1 Like

it looks like sparrow use to be a canadian company and most of the album images iv looked at on discogs have disrupted in canada on them tho some have made or manufactured in the usa on the including at least 2 of mine on the cd

1 Like

That brings back enough doubt to be “unsure” of the data.

But, again, a bit of common sense - discIDs mean you know those ones were CDs.

For those without discIDs, reading the edit history also lets you spot how the data was entered. If it was typed by hand, then you can never be sure. If it came from freedb import and there is no sign of a “Side A \ Side B” split then I’d be fairly confident I had a CD I was working on. If it was a Discogs import then check back where it came from and see what the importer skipped.

But the key is - if you are not sure, leave the data blank. If you are 95% happy that these are CD releases then leave good notes as to why.

Not sure why you think Sparrow is Canadian. Check out the label page here at MB and Wikipedia ( Sparrow Records - Wikipedia ) and they are USA

2 Likes

thay are now baesd in the US but if you look at some of steves old albums like this one https://www.discogs.com/Steve-Green-Find-Us-Faithful/release/6306699 it has them listed in bc canada it not the usa. looks like thay moved to the usa or started adding usa as the hq in 1991 based on 2 steve green albums i have in hand (hide 'em in you heart vol1 1990) (we believe 1991) It seams like all his albums up to 1996 at the latest had canada as the country thay were disrupted in then around 1996 (may have been a bit before this date)they added usa to it as a disrupted country and the some time in the 2000’s they removed canada as a disrupted country

1 Like

so based on that info where do you think it was likely to be released? US still for all the albums?
here is 2 of his albums on trove https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/21525869?q=steve+green&c=music&versionId=25797703
https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/28971786?l-format=Sound%2FRecorded+music&q=we+believe&c=music&versionId=35266255

2 Likes

That release has both a US (Chatsworth, CA) and a Canadian address on it. You could make a case that it’s a dual US/Canadian release.

The “distributed by XYZ in Canada” generally means, as IvanDobsky suggests, that the main label is handling distribution in their own country but has contracted with XYZ to handle it elsewhere. Again, I guess you could make a case that this makes it a dual US/Canada release since it was clearly intended for distribution in Canada.

2 Likes

I still would stick to “USA” for Steve Green. Among other reasons is - he is American. Nothing else of his has looked to any other market but USA USA. And many American’s rarely step outside of the US of A.

I can certainly see an argument for USA and Canada on some of them.

What is a little surprising is the lack of anything for South America. The little bit I read this morning about him shows he was born in South America. That also explains some of his Spanish language releases.

Have you seen any examples of any other countries? I’ve not seen any yet.

As @highstrung points out, the example you pick at Discogs is also a USA release. Sparrow is USA. I still have not seen anything about starting in Canada as everyone involved are USA and both Discogs and Wiki and Sparrow’s own site point at these USA original.

Just noticed the details on one of your examples:

So he DID release vinyl.

For those of us NOT in the US of A addresses like this can be confusing. ( And made more confusing by the MB TLA translator - :rofl:)

That says (Chatsworth, California) and NOT (Chatsworth, Canada)

4 Likes

ok thsts where i was getting mixed up i thort Chatsworth ca ment canada thanks @ highstrung for pointing out it was talking about the usa. and he has looked in to other markets by the looks
uk and europe

mexico and canada

there may be others im yet to see

i still think they were released in canada and maybe the usa as well but not just usa due to the fact if i followed the same theory for other artists that you base it on where the artist is from or the county the label is in then. that would mean all Phill Keaggy’s albums are released in the usa if you look at this one it looks like it was released in a lot of countries https://www.ebay.com/itm/133030162373 but if you compare it to the vershon i have you will see it seams to say canada and the uk thats only the ones on myrrt label the ones on word have other countries

Yeah, more USA releases. They are just covering themselves by adding all the localised areas to the same rear cover.

USA artist, releasing to his local USA market first. So I would set it as USA even though he has clearly gone on to sell into other markets. If I saw a news item mentioning releases to the other countries I’d probably add their country and release dates to the same release.

That says (Chatsworth, California) and NOT (Chatsworth, Canada) Nice catch Ivan!

if you think it is US only the what is the point of saying disrupted in Canada. y would steve green not say usa if it was released in the usa it is not adding up to me then you can also see his albums change over time to say disrupted in usa

@highstrung picked up on it first. That mob over there on the Left Side of the Pond forget that the rest of the world don’t know what all their states are. And it is a puzzle to me why the MB TLA translator is saying California or Canada. How often is Canada shortened in that manner? Weird.

It shows he is focusing on North America. And clearly is sending box loads North of the border.

I do also get a bit confused with the language. It is Released in one place, and the various lorries take box loads of the product and Distribute them into other areas. As that crosses the border into Canada a different company takes over. That is then a Canadian company Distributing (Shipping) a USA Release.

Distributor = Truck.

The important bit is when Steve Green announced the release. He Released it into Tennessee, but then the trucks took copies away to other markets.

If he printed a different cover for Canada then we’d have a Canadian release.

If he printed a different cover for Australia, then you’d have an Australian release. Instead your releases, bought in Australia, are USA releases.

1 Like

so your bassing it on where the HQ for sparrow is if you do that that means that any one on the label Brentwood has not released an album any where but the usa that does not sound right to me. technically that part is only telling you were the copyrights are registered and who owns them. a Distributor is not a truck it is a company that supplies the released albums to shops that you buy them from in the county thay have listed so canada in this case. and you could say that it is a canadian cover for a canadian release.
i have albums by other artists that are on different labels that say Distributed in canada or canada and the usa Keith green is one michael card is another and i have a few more thay are all US artists