How did you rip music on "ancient" hardware?

How did you rip on that thing without a CD player? Were you jamming the discs in that 5.25" drive?

The fun of constantly heading down the same path is the rediscovery of the little details that get forgotten about. I’ve just found this CD of Babylon Zoo… must be a hidden gem (LOLz Wikipedia refers to it as “one of worst releases of all time”)

1 Like

Yes funny. I think my 486 DX was only able to play heavily compressed mp2… 286? Maybe 486 typo.

Actually, at the time I used dial-up to download some tunes and put them on my big floppy’s. :slightly_smiling_face: Then I researched the songs to create a file with information. Didn’t have space on the hard drive for the music. It was a giant leap from my Commodore 64. :star_struck: [I couldn’t afford an Apple like my affluent friends.] But I was one of the first in my neighborhood to purchase a Windows operating system.

1 Like

My 486 era I was still using cassettes for music and HIFI CD.
I don’t think I knew PC CD drives existed.
But computer itself was for demoscene stuff exchanged on BBS, it already took hours to DL the equivalent of a two floppy demo, then. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got into “computer” music pretty late, but back in the 286 days, I was using an Access database to keep info on my record collection.

Nowadays, I’ve got my 40 year old turntable connected to my computer so I can rip my “ancient” music and listen to it on my phone.

2 Likes

@Billy_Yank I do the same. I still have and use my Garrard Lab 80 that I bought new in the early 60’s. Hmmm I guess that puts me in the ancient hardware category too. Oh well, it is what it is!!:older_man:

2 Likes

The only practical methods for me , given the capacity of computer storage and playback issues, were analog ripping to audio cassettes.

Those things would save the location of where you paused listening even if the power failed and you dropped them!
(The Future has been largely disappointing. Though I’m hearing that the next generation of mobile phones will be able to microwave food and beverages so commuters can cook as they drive.)

2 Likes

Yes, been there done that! It sure beat finding a flat rock, a small T-Rex head, then placing one of its teeth on the rock and running in a circle around the rock while yelling in the T-Rex’s ear. :woozy_face: Welcome aboard! :smiley:

1 Like