Honorific titles for classical artists? (Dame? Janet Baker)

ok, but then there shouldn’t be a problem, as the relationships sit in the recordings. The “credited as” info in recordings shouldn’t be valued too high: It’s well possible that a single recording is linked to different releases having different versions for the artist credit on their cover art. For that reason, I’d say its preferable to have the basic version in the recordings.

Is that supposed to say “James Baker” or is it a typo for “Janet Baker”?

No, that’s more some form of a Freudian typo or whatever.Thanks for pointing this out! I took the liberty to correct this.

1 Like

Seems like a good reason not to do renames like this until that’s fixed.

Presumably we’d use the form that’s most commonly used (just like we do for the title). But that’s hardly unimportant data—on a lot of compilations, for example, the recording will be the only place she’s credited (and even if the recording artist field is unaffected, it’ll be changed next time someone rebuilds it from the ARs). And it’s also where, e.g., Performer tagging comes from, so it’s used by people.

I think I’d change my vote except for this issue. The change is relatively minor as far as improvements go—it goes from one way she’s OK being credited to another. But in doing so, it’s going to make a lot of currently-correct data incorrect (and, I must confess, some currently-incorrect data correct as well). Which could be avoided if we just waited until a code fix or two.

1 Like

ok, I’ve canceled the edit for now.

1 Like