Highlight owned stuff (releases, recordings, …) with “mb. COLLECTION HIGHLIGHTER”

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f6d4f13da80> #<Tag:0x00007f6d4f13d940> #<Tag:0x00007f6d4f13d760> #<Tag:0x00007f6d4f13d580> #<Tag:0x00007f6d4f13d440> #<Tag:0x00007f6d4f13d198> #<Tag:0x00007f6d4f13cfe0> #<Tag:0x00007f6d4f13cd38>

Continuing the discussion from Is it possible to get a discography completion stat/missing tracks?:

The main reason I use MusicBrainz is to keep track of my collection.

When I am in a flea market, second hand shop, CD shop, I want to know if that compilation or single will bring me recordings I don’t already own in this artist albums or if I already have any edition of that album, etc.

There used to be such a feature in old version of MB but it was very limited as a feature, only the equivalent of the release groups were managed.

I wish this collection all item highlighting can become part of MBS one day:

Until then, I have to use the following Android funny stuff:

mb. COLLECTION HIGHLIGHTER

But for now, until we can have some visual feedback of our collection, I used my userscript that tells me which release group, release, recording, artist are or are not in my collection(s):

Here I can see the albums I have, they have that purple highlight.

Here I can see that in that other edition, there is a recording that I don’t have in my edition.

I can also prepare an artist wanted albums by going to the artist works tab, click the few works I don’t already have and by browsing through its recordings, see what release I am missing.
The possibilities are wide because this script will highlight my stuff in every conceivable page.

5 Likes

I am working on a huge new version.

The new stuff, for the moment is that

• the collection loader is at least 7 times faster (also tested on Android 9 Kiwi Browser, super fast, no problems)
  • all kinds of huge releases can be loaded (even those with dozens of mediums and thousands of recordings and works, there is no limit any more)
  • the included release groups will also be highlighten, for instance, if you have an album anthology, all its included album release groups will be highlighten, same with a single anthology of anything else using this relationship
  • small interface (GUI) enhancements

All above features are completely implemented.

More are coming. In particular, a rewrite of a more stable sustainable dynamic loader, to fix recent regressions due to MBS enhancements (release pagination). I plan to do that by using what I just did for the initial collection loader, based on stable, sustainable, maintainable web service code.

@Cheezmo and @kellnerd already have it, but you can install the super cool beta version if you want, before it is complete and released.
There is a link over there:

9 Likes

It’s ready and released now.
I didn’t have time to convert the dynamic Remove feature (OFF and Remove from collection buttons) to web service mode but it still works for most cases and also it is the less used feature, I guess.

I will convert my new entity loader to a library, with a small update, and then I will be able to use it in MASS MERGE RECORDINGS as well.

6 Likes