Help with attaching Disc Id to a new Release

HI,
I created a new release for an Allan Holdsworth CD I received for Christmas. The physical CD was identified as a CD belonging to an Allan Holdsworth 12 CD Box Set. This CD may be the same as the one in the box set but it is part of a different release.

I created a new release for the CD but I cannot figure out how to attach the Disc Id to this new release. I read the documentation online, but it did not seem applicable to what I was trying to do. The existing Disc Id is “i0KbSktmHupG_MpobI5OEUPgERQ-”. The new Release Id is “c646cae4-5f31-4249-b367-280de7a04d51”. The Box Set Release Id is “0ec2667a-f7f2-4342-86d8-91e7c02da12b”.

How do I attach the Disc Id i0KbSktmHupG_MpobI5OEUPgERQ- to the new release c646cae4-5f31-4249-b367-280de7a04d51?

Thanks,
Paul

1 Like

Stick your CD into Picard. Click “Lookup CD”. Now “Submit CD” and search for your newly added release.

Not a surprise that the same CD is in a boxset and sold separate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, I tried that several times, but it didn’t work when I searched for the release via the Artist’s name. I just tried it again by searching my MBID. That screen had the Attach TOC button.

Thanks,
Paul

I also usually use the MBID as it is quicker. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget to click on the DiscID tab (on release page) and click “Set Track Durations”

2 Likes

Ok, now I will try to Rip the CD again to make sure the new Release is in the list to choose from.

Paul

Success, the new Release shows up as a choice now, when I ripped the CD again.

Thanks,
Paul

4 Likes

Hello, Paul. Welcome to MusicBrainz. Thank you for adding this release to the database! It makes the project better for everyone.

Note that the usual searches use an index, and the index is only updated every few hours. If you create a new Release entry, then immediately search for it, it probably won’t be in the index yet. The Search UI has a radio button labelled “direct search”. That means, bypass the index and search everything in (that part of) the database. That should return the newly-created Release entry.

But, pasting the new Release’s MBID into the search box is an even better method. Congratulations on finding it. You are on your way to becoming a power user!

1 Like