Handling of Digital Releases on Steam and Inconsistencies in Metadata?

So I was working on entering the information of https://musicbrainz.org/release/3e29919e-90d5-49eb-b8f5-64c436d8aaf2 and it’s corresponding digital release available via Steam (currently still under early access so there’s no public page yet), and I have encountered some inconsistencies and would like some suggestions before proceeding.

First of all, the digital release seem to contain more content than the aforementioned CD release, and has a differently styled title. Should these two releases still go under the same release group? Or is it better to separate them?

Secondly, in the Steam client, the track titles and artist credits are displayed in Chinese, but the actual files have Japanese filenames (and no metadata tags). Shall I enter the tracks and artists in Chinese or in Japanese?

Finally, the directory structure was a bit confusing to work with:

• The Steam client displays the release in 11 “discs” that are listed separately
  • The actual files are organized in a two-layer structure:
    • The tracks are grouped into three folders, 01-Original Soundtrack, 02-Vocal Collection, and 03-Bgm Arrange Collection
    • And under each folder, there are sub-folders that are named disc${number}
      In this case, shall I treat the release as one, three, or eleven media?

Sincerely

1 Like

kia ora!

• If the musical content is basically the same (allowing for remastering, bonus tracks, some track updates etc), definitely the same release group

• Whatever language you prefer (or a release for each), until we get an alternate tracklists function/update

• It seems intended to be split into 11 ‘discs’, so I would enter 11 mediums

These are all common issues when entering Steam releases. Almost every time I find the album name in particular is different across the album art, the tags, and the steam store page :sob:

How many ‘discs’ to add is also a common headache, I usually add a new medium whenever a set of tracks is put into its own folder in the download.

That’s just what I would do, I don’t think there’s any specific guidelines regarding these issues. Anything you add is better than nothing :+1:

3 Likes

In line with aerozol, will just add:

• As the release is China only I would add Chinese track names for official release
  • If you want you can also add a pseudo one for the Japanese filenames

Then is there a way to replicate the 3 parts (Original Soundtrack, Vocal & BGM) into MBz?

That’s waiting for another update to do properly I think, but I have done this in the past using the medium titles. e.g. Vocal Collection, Disc 1

See this nightmare for an example of nested folders :grimacing:

2 Likes

Indeed a nightmare :slight_smile:

I was more thinking of something like Discogs, which can group multiple media/tracks
ex: https://www.discogs.com/Jean-C-Roché-William-W-H-Gunn-Le-Loups-En-Liberté-Wailing-Wolves/release/13361547

1 Like

This is a related ticket, it has a lot of votes but it’s not assigned so I don’t think it’ll happen any time soon :thinking:

https://tickets.metabrainz.org/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/MBS-6680

1 Like