GSOC BookBrainz web api implementation proposal

Name: Krishna Vamsi
Project: BookBrainz- Web API implemenation
email: vamsikidambi@gmail.com
github : https://github.com/kkvamsi/

Proposal
My proposal is based on the existing implementation idea BookBrainz to implement the Web API in JavaScript which already exists in python and which is being migrated to Node.js based platforms. This support this move owing to the fact that a unified programming platform enables better compatibility among various components and the extend to which the Node.js platform and the v8-engine used in it makes it efficient and enables handling more concurrent and asynchronous requests.

Timeline
Community bonding period (April-- 22nd May)

Weighting the advantages of migrating the platform and the time estimate required to tackle the tasks. Also explore the frameworks koa.js

First-Term (Late May- Late June)

Begin acquiring missing knowledge as relevant to the project and start working on understanding the implementation and work on merits and demerits if any found in the existing proposal.Along side with this, prepare the coding environment required for the project. Also a solid plan has to be made on how the implementation phase has to take shape.
After the initial setup start working according to the requirements ground up and implement unit testing at every phase and generate extensive test cases for each functionality to detect and correct the edge cases to eliminate bugs and vulnerabilities in the transactions.
As the familiarity increases, make sure that pace of implementation is faster without quality compromise as mandated by coding standards and implementation plan.

Mid Term
Work with mentors to produce evaluation for Google Summer Of Code.

Second term (Late June- early august)
Finish with authentication and basic services and push towards caching and other factors that can improve the scalability and responsiveness of the service.

Final Week (early august - mid august)
System testing module wise so that all the components are working in sync and no test cases that are passed individually fail after integration on whole

After Google Summer Of Code
Finish any unfinished work and make sure that the final requirement is met.

Information about yourself
I am an graduate computer science student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, interested in learning and exploring new languages and concepts.

Tell us about the computer(s) you have available for working on your SoC project!

My main computer is an Intel i7-processor powered HP DV6 laptop with 8GB ram and 1 GB graphic card.

When did you first start programming?
I started programming mainly when four years ago during my undergraduation.

What type of music do you listen to? (Please list a series of MBIDs as examples.) If applying for a BookBrainz project: what type of books do you read? (Please list a series of BBIDs as examples. (And feel free to also list music you listen to!))

I love listening to Hans Zimmer’s (e6de1f3b-6484-491c-88dd-6d619f142abc) music mainly and other assorted popular song tracks.

What aspects of the project you’re applying for (e.g., MusicBrainz, AcousticBrainz, etc.) interest you the most?
I love creating stuff that can help make an impact on who ever uses it.Bookbrainz provides open data to its users and I can contribute my best to such projects .
Doing somethings like this give me a sense of satisfaction and pushes me to learn and do better.

Have you ever used MusicBrainz to tag your files?
Nope.

Have you contributed to other Open Source projects? If so, which projects and can we see some of your code?
No

If you have not contributed to open source projects, do you have other code we can look at?

I have my GITHUB repository that contains few JavaScript based projects can be found in my Github repositories link .
Also worked on a windows mobile application published in windows store.(bit.ly/1OZsvHm)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B41VcGyxzJUfX3I0QWFEYTBmQTA&usp=sharing

Involved in design and development of web app including a classifier algo based on
Bayes theorem,which was done as a part of intern , therefore unfortunately the code is not available.

What sorts of programming projects have you done on your own time?
I was taught C and Java as a part of my course work. Languages including JS,HTML,CSS,Python,c#,Android were learnt by me as out of my interest.

How much time do you have available, and how would you plan to use it?
I plan on having 8 hours per weekday available to work on this project making up the 40 hours a week to work on this project

Do you plan to have a job or study during the summer in conjunction with Summer of Code?
Should I be accepted I do not plan on taking on further employment.

Ok, it looks like you have a clear idea of what we’re looking for, and this is nearly there.

I’d like to see more emphasis on designing the web API before you start coding. I’d expect the design phase to take about 2 weeks if you’re working full time. Maybe have a think about the process you’ll use to design it, then add that to your proposal.

Also, I know time is fairly short now, but if you can, I’d like to see a more detailed time plan, clearly laying out when the parts of the web API will be made.

I think this proposal is lacking a lot of critical detail.

This is not the way to file an application for Summer of Code. All of this needs to be done before submitting the application. As it stands all your application says that you will “do stuff over the summer”. We want to know exactly what you plan to do.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and reviewing my proposal.
Please allow me some time before I can submit the specifics.
Also I would like to know if it is okay to submit implementation specifics after the deadline for
the application submission.

I’m afraid not - we have limited slots and have to judge you based on your final proposal. I have to say, posting a draft proposal on the day of the deadline is leaving it a little late…

1 Like

This is not up to us. Google Summer of Code rules is that we are to evaluate the final PDF proposals as they were submitted by 19:00 UTC on March 25th (ie., ~2 hours ago). However, note that we would love to see you work on BookBrainz (or any other *Brainz) until next summer. This will also increase your chance of your proposal next year being accepted since 1) we’ll know you already and know you’re going to stick around, and 2) you’ll know us already, along with the project(s) you decide to dive into, making you much more capable in defining a GSoC 2017 proposal.

2 Likes