Getting rid of "featuring..." for the directory creation

Hi!
I’ve got a small problem with my sorting & naming script: It uses the same name for the directory then for the track itself. While it’s OK for the track I want for the artist only the main artist.

Example Song: Camila Cabello feat. Ed Sheeran - Bam Bam.m4a

The script would name the directory “Camila Cabello feat. Ed Sheeran” which is quite annoying especially when Camilla got several or tons of “featuring” songs. Then I’d have many main artist directories all named with different “featuring”'s…

So what to do here - which variable to use or how to edit the script to reach my goal? :slight_smile:

Example Script for better usage? Thanks!

If you use the “Additional Artists Variables” plugin, it provides separate variables for the “Primary” artist. Full documentation is available. I use this plugin extensively in my main file naming script.

6 Likes

if you’re having the issue tagging Bam Bam as a track on Familia, you might also try using %albumartist% for your artist folder instead of %artist%

that would leave the “feat.” if you’re trying to tag the single though, so rdswift’s suggestion is probably more what you’re looking for.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! I’ll give this a try and check the plugin as well as your script! :slight_smile:
Thanks UltimateRiff as well - I just tried putting away the “artist” but that didn’t work on the very first try. Guess I have to go deeper into that as well.

With the plugin - this is the variable I’m looking for: _artists_track_primary_cred

… but that’s (again) a plugin which causes some delay. I guess I can live with that compared to the manual work.

Thanks!

This plugin should actually not add a noticable delay. It uses data already loaded and makes it available in variables.

1 Like

I personally use this naming script without any plugins to achieve a similar effect:

$if2($getmulti(%_albumartists_sort%, 0),$getmulti(%_artists_sort%, 0))/$if($ne(%albumartist%,),$if($ne(%originaldate%,),%originaldate% - ,)%albumartist% - %album%/,)$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),%discnumber%-,)$if($ne(%albumartist%,),$num(%tracknumber%,2) ,)$if(%_multiartist%,%artist% - ,)%title%

It extracts the primary name of the first release artist, but also includes the full release artist as credited in the release folder name.

2 Likes