Folder organisation script

Hello, I am pretty inept at this sort of thing but I was hoping someone could help me with a script to rename my mp3’s as well as create a proper folder structure for files moved

What I would like is a folder structure that goes artist > new folder > album > new folder > song name

I would like the mp3 files to simply be renamed as Artist - Song.mp3

I have a large collection of mp3s that have been amassing since the 90’s I’d just like to clean up with as little input on my end as possible, overall not too picky on what album or art is selected for me. Thanks!

That mostly looks like you can use the default file naming script. I’m just not sure what the “new folder” means. You want to create a separate folder below the artist name folder?

Maybe you can show an example.

1 Like

Yeah, a sub folder for albums. I tried using multiple variations of the default naming script but it just dumped all my mp3s into one folder, in an unsorted but renamed mess, from all different artists

The default script is artist > album > song name (more or less), so possibly your files are lacking the tags/metadata that Picard requires to make those folders, or something else is happening that we need a more info to figure out.

The usual method is to ‘cluster’ and then ‘lookup’ in Picard. Give that a try (on a copy of some files!) and ‘save’ - that should grab the metadata to make the folders.

1 Like

I think I got it figured out, thanks fellas

1 Like