File renaming script not creating album folder

I’m using the default script (and I’ve tried other examples), and in each case, I get the artist folder created, but all of the tracks are on the top level. I’m making sure that the Artist / Album artist are OK and the Album is named correctly and consistently. Nevertheless, if I take five albums, say, by Pink Floyd, the Pink Floyd folder will be created, but every track will be on the top level in that folder - with no album folders created.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Script (default)

$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if($ne(%albumartist%,),%album%/,)$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),%discnumber%-,)$if($ne(%albumartist%,),$num(%tracknumber%,2) ,)$if(%_multiartist%,%artist% - ,)%title%

Thanks.

Please copy and paste your file naming script so we can see it.

The script only makes an album folder if albumartist is set, so if this does not work please double check this tag. Also you have “Move files when saving” activated, right?

Btw, the script is not entirely default. This script uses $if($ne(%albumartist%,),%album%/,), while the default one should be functional the same but uses the more simple $if(%albumartist%,%album%/,).

This is the actual default:

$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/
$if(%albumartist%,%album%/,)
$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),%discnumber%-,)$if($and(%albumartist%,%tracknumber%),$num(%tracknumber%,2) ,)$if(%_multiartist%,%artist% - ,)%title%

Thank you.

That is the script that populated when I clicked “default” underneath the script it in the preferences.

Yes, I have Move Files checked.

The artist folder is created properly. What does not happen is any of the subfolders with album name.

Here is a strange wrinkle. When I have file move set to be on the same volume (e.g., organizing from one folder to another ‘clean’ folder), I have this problem - no albums created - only artist and then all of the files in the folder. When I have file move set fo another volume, it works as intended. I can’t think of any reason for this off behavior.

Which version of Picard on which OS do you use? It must be some version before 2.2 then.

Can you enable debug output in Help > View Error/Debug log, save some files and post the output of the log here?

Me neither, except for albumartist not being set. Is there anything special about the destination folder? What kind of filesystem is it? Is it a network folder or something.

Just to confirm, are you matching the files to information retrieved from the MusicBrainz database (in the right-hand pane), or are you simply clustering and saving? If clustering and saving, it’s possible that there is no %albumartist% metadata available for the script to use, as suggested by @outsidecontext in an earlier response.

This is correct. If albumartist is set, it works.

Is there a way to modify the script, so that it will work if albumartist is not set (and only artist)?

Thanks.

I have tested it - this is correct. If albumartist is set, it works.
I’d like the script to work whether or not albumartist is set - is this a simple mod?
Thanks.

Sure, just remove the check for %albumartist% by replacing $if(%albumartist%,%album%/,) with %album%/

1 Like

Great. Thank you all for the help.

2 Likes