File naming with Various Artists

I was having a problem getting Picard to name my files correctly where there are tracks by multiple artists on a record…

The default naming syntax is:

$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if($ne(%albumartist%,),%album%/)$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),%discnumber%-,)$if($ne(%albumartist%,),$num(%tracknumber%,2) ,)$if(%_multiartist%,%artist% - ,)%title%

I have a release that has 4 tracks, each by a different artist. They end up being named as, for example:

\Various Artists\Liquid V\01 Hung Up.mp3

Whereas I think it should name as:

\Various Artists\Liquid V\01 Commix - Hung Up.mp3

I’ve read through a few forum threads about the %_multiartist% variable, so thought that this would likely be the problem, so instead tried the following syntax:

$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if($ne(%albumartist%,),%album%/)$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),%discnumber%-,)$if($ne(%albumartist%,),$num(%tracknumber%,2) ,)$if($in(%albumartist%,arious),%artist% - ,)%title%

The idea being that if %albumartist% was “Various Artists” then %artist% gets included in the file name, but if %albumartist% is not “Various Artists” (or “Various”, “various”, etc.) then %artist% only gets included in the folder structure not the file name.

This works!

So I wonder why the %_multiartist% variable in the default syntax isn’t working. Any suggestions?

What release are you having problems with so we can try and reproduce.

It’s version 1.3.2 on windows platform.

I think Rovastar meant which music Release on Musicbrainz :slight_smile: Just give us the link, we can than hopefully reproduce and explain things.