Festival orchestras

Should orchestras formed for an annual music festival have different artists (eg, Festival Orchestra 2017, Festival Orchestra 2018,…) or have one artist but with its musicians use end dates to denote when they were part of the orchestra?

I don’t know if there is a rule covering it, but I would (and have) just listed it as the orchestra name. The year is the year of the event, not the name of the band.

I suspect that a popular festival orchestras will eventually need to be divided into years as the numbers of members/former members will continue to grow and the exact composition of a specific year’s orchestra may become of interest and will need to be presented in nice neat groupings.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an orchestra with more than a handful of linked members anyway. That information is simple not available most of the time.

I would prefer having a single orchestra, rather than a new one for every year.

By the way, it would be great if on the relationship page, you could set a date range and only show relationships that fall in that range. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The other thing to consider is the EVENT section.
If someone wants to know who played and what they played at the 1999 festival, they could open the event list to see.

1 Like

Not exactly a festival orchestra, but…

I’m pretty sure that humans will have kept such information if it meant anything to them.
I’ve got an “permanent” orchestra program here and it carefully lists all the orchestra members.

Looking at this … what is the polite term … “blob” of data, the benefit of having an orchestra membership presented in a visually accessible way becomes obvious.
Though I think the suggestion of justcheckingitout to use the EVENT as a way to access membership is spot on target.
How to educate MB users to use that method is another question.
EDIT: The section in italics above is not the way forward. The problem of listing specific group, band and orchestra members in an accurate and easily accessible way, in terms of membership at a particular date, goes right across MB.
The work around for a festival orchestra would be the “by year option”.
But I think that would not be a “good enough” way to go.

Sorry, my previous thought did not fully come through.
I still think we need the “members” section like we always use. But we than take it a step further by creating an event.