Entering release group help please

I am a new user and I’ve got a new cd that I can’t find in the database. I’m looking at adding it myself, but I need some guidance as to how to go about it, because it isn’t as straightforward as the ones I’ve successfully entered so far.

First issue: The artist on the cd is given as ERIC CLAPTON & The Yardbirds which is really 2 artists. Is it entered that way, or is it somehow entered as Eric Clapton and The Yardbirds separately? I suspect that the original records would just have been the Yardbirds, and they’ve just put Eric Clapton’s name in big letters because people will know him.

Second issue: The 2 cds have been released together with the same barcode, but they don’t have a combined title. Do i put it as release group “Good Morning LIttle Schoolgirl & I’m a Man” as the title. If so, is it possible to get it uploaded from Musicbrainz, because they are tagged as each album individually not as that double-banger title. Should I re-tag as both titles?

This is what it looks like. It’s 2 cds in a box, one is Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, the other is I’m A Man
amazon link

Any guidance as to how this should be entered is appreciated. Thanks.

Let’s work backwards. :grinning:

1. https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Titles
    Multiple titles / Splits
    When a release is a re-release of two or more other releases, … , the title should be split as " Title 1 / Title 2" (space, slash, space). …

This Is the Modern World / All Mod Cons by The Jam (two releases in one)

1 https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Artist_Credits
Artist credits should generally follow the actual credit used on the release / track, including the join phrases.

Ferrari Boyz is credited to "Gucci Mane & Waka Flocka Flame"
So like you say two artists.
https://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Add_a_Release
Release Information
After entering Eric Clapton click on the Edit box immediately to the right.
Click on the Add Artist Credit little green cross over on the right. Put in The Yardbirds and use “&” as the join phrase.

1 Like

Thanks (I feel like I should be paying you consultancy fees for all the personal help you give me :D)

I have a plugin on my musicbrainz program, and it has an "add cluster as release’ button. Each of the albums is tagged as the album the track is on, so it has 2 clusters. If I upload each using the “add cluster” button, how do I get them back together as one release using the slash in the middle? They’ll upload as 2 releases won’t they?

2 Likes

You’ve gone beyond my skill level there.

What follows is wild speculation. And probably should neither be followed nor have been written.
But if you did add two clusters as Releases and then you merged them as Medium 1 and Medium 2 of the merged Release what would happen?

And also this path might take 12 days to get through voting?

1. I’ve edited quite a few Yardbirds releases over the years and I have corrected the artist to “The Yardbirds” in the past, when it comes to cheap compilations that the artist have little control over. See: https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Principle/Error_correction_and_artist_intent Another acceptable alternative (if you want to keep the artist credit used on the compilation) is to change the artist credit (the release group, release, and tracklist) to [“The Yardbirds” credited as “Eric Clapton & The Yardbirds”].
  2. The title of the release and release group should be “Good Morning Little Schoolgirl & I’m a Man”, and then you can change the “disc title” at the tracklist tab to “Good Morning Little Schoolgirl” and “I’m a Man” (this option only shows up if the release has more than 1 medium). Re the Picard script: Yes, they will be uploaded as two separate releases. The best solution imo is to click on the track parser button (the tracklist tab) at the “I’m a Man” release, copy the tracklist, create a new medium at the “Good Morning…” release (the “add medium” button), and then paste the tracklist. Creating 2 releases and then merging them also works, but this edit will be applied after 7 days (or 48 hours if you manage to get 3 “yes” votes).
1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give it a whirl that way.

EDIT: Thanks, uploading the clusters as a release and then using the track parser to copy the tracklist from one to the other worked easily. I’ll scan the pretty pictures tomorrow and finish it off, but it’s in.

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes