Drums vs. drumset

musicbrainz
instruments
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f30a220ae20> #<Tag:0x00007f30a220ab78>

#148

You are probably referring to my post here?:

It is not about removing ‘solo’.
It is about Picard leaving out the instrument for that solo role.

(which indeed seems related to 'Standardize Performers, but I’ll have to do some digging what’s happening exactly)


#149

Yeah, standardize performers will separate the solo credit from the instrument credit. Guess it depends on whether you care that so-and-so played solo guitar vs just any guitar in the piece. To me it’s a good thing, because I just want to see person and instrument


#150

You are certainly right in the sense that ‘guitar’ is an instrument, and ‘guitar solo’ is not.

Still, I have quite some tracks with more than one guitar player that contain a great guitar solo.
For these tracks it would be nice to see who is playing the solo.
But the guitar player would probably need to have two credits then.
One for playing the guitar, and another one for playing a guitar solo.


#151

Found a hole in your script I think. What happens when there is an “and” in there? Like “Performer:membranophone and percussion”. or “Performer:clavinet, farfisa, membranophone and piano”

Is there any way to tweak this to allow for those ands? I also expect the membrananaophone to appear either side of that and. Where are those scripting wizards to answer our puzzles? :smiley:

Here is a good example of odd combinations of instruments.

The first track has two different drummers who also play other items on the same track. Track 10 is handclaps and membranophone. So lots of combos in there to test a wildcarded script.


#152

Thanks for trying it out and giving feedback.

I am sure the current script won’t catch everything that might be out there.
But I have run it on a couple of hundred albums by now, and it worked perfectly for all of them.
If you or I (or anyone else) run into it not working well in a specific case, please let me know and I’ll see if I can fix it.

To make it completely perfect I would probably better resort to using regex, but since it is working very well already I am reluctant to put effort in that.

I ran the script on the album you mentioned.
These are tracks 1 and 10:

It looks hunky-dory to me?


#153

I was tagging a heap of MP3 files. And this album did trip up when I used the earlier version of your script. (The six line version earlier in this thread)

The main difference I have is I still have lots of “and” joiners in the instruments. Look at the following for track 1:

image

I assume this fails to match because the instrument is see as a “[membranopone and percussion]”. How have you got yours to list every instrument separately?

Note: I am still using v1.4.2 of Picard as I am waiting for the bug fixes to calm down before moving to v2.x


#154

It’s probably because I am using the Standardize Performer plugin and you are not?

I have been using 2.0.4 for a while now, and I must say I am very content with it and not aware of any problematic bugs.
Also many plugins have been updated to work well with 2.x.


#155

What does a “Standardize Performer Plugin” do? Is it a standard I need? (pootles off to go read a help file somewhere…)

Answers own question: For once that help description made sense. You get the separated list per instrument like your screenshot, not the list per performer like my screenshot. So it is now about to be added to my standard setup as that makes lots of sense to me looking like that.

I have just stayed off Picard 2.0.x for now as the initial releases seemed a bit Beta-ish to me with initial feedback. Especially as I watched all the plugins then catch up. I’m waiting for v2.1 before I jump in.


#156

Correct, it’s not needed, and it probably depends on how the player/manager you are using displays these kind of tags.


#157

Yeah… I noticed I threw it in a little too quick. As I am weird, I like to keep some of the old tags in a file as I will have other notes about where they came from. So turning this on caused a bit of a mess. I had expected it to also remove the previous performer tags from a file before putting the new ones in. Instead it wanted to add all the single instrument entries in alongside all the “x and y” entries. Eeek!

Leave that for another day…

So I would edit your posts up there next to the scripts and make sure people have the “Standardize Performer Plugin” enabled to make your simple script work the best. I notice you mentioned it in your first post on this, but I ignored that. :smiley: Worth pointing out that it is important.