Drums vs. drumset

I only really visit MusicBrainz and this forum so finding the IRC channels is a bit hit and miss. Trouble is I am trying to visit here to relax around my music hobby and get away from the computers. :smiley:

Thanks @Freso for the links. Have read those chunks now.

When the @FresoBot has been updated, I would think it would be useful if you can have a ā€œtargeted modeā€. Something that allows a whole Artist - either Band or Single person - to be targeted for ā€œcorrectionā€. This would then allow a swap from ā€œMembranononophoneā€ to ā€œDrum Set (drums)ā€ for Rock bands.

And if a bulk rename happens, the same bot can help undo those bands who have accidentally become ā€œDrum Set (drums)ā€ instead of ā€œdrumā€.

Maybe have a thread dedicated to ā€œInstrument Correctionsā€. Then an artist or band that is spotted as being heavily wrong can be corrected quicker. This would also cover the issue @hiccup mentioned above where ā€œguitar familyā€ has slid into an artist.

When looking at Nirvana saw lots of worryingly loose ā€œbassā€ entries too. This would be again handy if we can say "For the Band ā€œNirvanaā€ change all entries of ā€œBassā€ to ā€œBass Guitarā€. (I did see previous discussions on this topic too)

Human eyes will always be superior to a bot. So Human Checks are needed. Humans requesting the corrections seem important to me. The human should always have the last say. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I should probably point out that wherever ā€œmembranophoneā€ is listed using the ā€œprogrammingā€ relationship, the bot should probably replace those with ā€œdrum machineā€ rather than ā€œdrums (drum set)ā€.

8 Likes

ā€¦ and the membraphone ā†’ drums change is possible with this script

6 Likes

And it works very nicely on a release-by-release basis, but with over 200,000 recordings featuring ā€œmembranophoneā€, itā€™s still gonna take a looong time.

BTW could you add ā€˜guitar familyā€™/ā€˜guitarā€™ as options as well? There are a more manageable number of those - though also, I would guess, even better targets for a bot-based cleanup.

2 Likes

If I get bored at the weekend Iā€™ll have a look at that and see if I can learn how to run it. It will help my OCD on the bands I deal with. Even if there is eventually a bulk change to the database it would probably still be good to get as many corrected drum set (drums) in place as possible.

1 Like

Added in version 2018.8.18

1 Like

How about ā€œviolin familyā€/ā€œviolinā€? Iā€™ve seen that at least once.

1 Like

Hello @CatQuest, are there any updates on this that you could share?

The accompanying ticket for this is https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/OTHER-329
we are waiting for this to be coded/worked on, after which things should be much in order.
afaik @freso is also waiting for something - Iā€™ll let him explain that part.
We also want to conduct a poll to see which thing you all think is the best replacement; should blank credits be moved to ā€œdrumsā€ or ā€œdrumsetā€. This poll will be made Soonā„¢, right now everyoneā€™s a bit busy with preparations for GCI, BookBrainz, and general stuff esp @reosarevok (as explained in the blog) and @freso (whoā€™s the Lead Admin for GCI)

2 Likes

16 posts were split to a new topic: Picard script for handling instrument families and more

Sorry to dig out a two year old threadā€¦ but what happened to the plans to fix the Membranophone confuddlements in the MB database?

When I see membranophones in the artists I am working with I try and fix them as often as possible. But this is a slow old process by hand. Especially as I have just stepped into tagging some of my Pink Floyd albumsā€¦ far too many membranophones to fix in there!

Maybe there is a script someone has made that can be pointed at a Relationships page and do all the clicking for me? It would be good if I could point a tool at a per Release or per Artist basis and make the adjustments.

Generally with a single release it is easy to know which type of drums it will be. And mostly with the artist too.

It seems sensible to me to arm some of us who care with ā€œCorrection Toolkitsā€ to help push this forward?

4 Likes

There is the old capitalisation_gun bot that has been used to fix deprecated relationships before. Perhaps it could be repurposed for this?

I volunteered to use FresoBot for this, however @FresoBot is currently out of commission due to a local PostgreSQL update to version 11, which I wasnā€™t able to cleanly port the MusicBrainz database up to, so I need to find some time to reā€import the MB db so it is usable againā€¦ And then I need to write the actual code for doing the updating (unless someone beats me to it :wink: ).

Iā€™m a bit wary to start coding the bot to do this without knowing exactly what itā€™s supposed to do, which is something @CatQuest was going to make a poll aboutā€¦ Once I had started on the coding. So that part is currently in a bit of a catchā€22.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update @Freso I understand that old ā€œfinding the timeā€ hassle :wink: - Problems always seem to expand to fit the time available.

I do totally understand the issue with unleashing the bot on the WHOLE databaseā€¦ that is certainly not trivial.

To be honestā€¦ part of this post was also seeing if any of the scripting experts were interested in a ā€œtargeted correction toolā€ which can be used at Release level to correct small sets of Recordings.

When I am looking at a Relationships page for a release I will often manually correct the ones I see. That can take a lot of clicking once it gets to a double or more album. Or worse when looking at the 16 disc Discovery set for Pink Floydā€¦ just too many discs to contemplate doing by hand.

1 Like

So, after something like year gone by now, it looks like the ideas of fixing this ā€˜membranophoneā€™ mishap by means of bots or forum polls were not realistic.
Iā€™m no database expert, but wouldnā€™t (shouldnā€™t) it be possible to just find all existing ā€˜membranophoneā€™ entries that currently exist in the database, and simply revert them to the state they were in before they were changed to membranophone?

That already exists :slight_smile: (Iā€™m using it!). I think itā€™s this script - in any case, itā€™s by @loujin and it runs in the relationship editor.

5 Likes

Excellentā€¦ Iā€™ll investigate deeper. See what damage I can cause with it :wink:

(Still a bit new to these scriptsā€¦ but my gawd are they powerful time savers :slight_smile: )

1 Like

That worked wellā€¦ got the courage to try it out.

3 Likes

Why does this have ā€˜drum setā€™ in brackets, when it is in the annotation?

Most credits are for ā€˜drumsā€™, so to reproduce the relationship as-is for any album, itā€™s always credited as ā€œdrumsā€ additionally.

Are there any other instruments set like this?

2 Likes

I expect because the right name for the instrument should be ā€œdrum setā€ (ā€œdrumsā€ is just how people usually call it) so thatā€™s the most reasonable compromise without either removing the real name from the instrument name (wrong) or removing ā€œdrumsā€ from it (confusing).

5 Likes