Display the File / Pathname From the Status Bar somewhere else? PICARD-1481

I’m trying to run down where the status bar is actually drawn / populated.

… I want to see about making the File / Pathname information to be always visible somewhere, instead of being overwritten by whatever else is happening with the queries.

Add a second line to the Status Bar, at the top of the metadata list, etc…

…and who knows, maybe figure out how to add a cancel / kill / pause to the queued items list.

Is it all done in mainwindow.py, or is being imported from somewhere else? I can find some of the code that does the numbers on the right side of the status bar, but I’m not seeing where the thing is actually drawn and the source of the message strings that get shown.

My current idea on this is to make this part of the metadata box, with both current and expected path (the latter being a bit tricky to always get right without bad performance impact).

See also the ticket at

The current status bar gets setup in main window with create_statusbar()

1 Like

Heh, yeah. That ticket pretty much nails it.
It’s as if I must have written that.

…and the bit about being part of the metadata box is right where I’m headed, so I can have it stay on top no matter what :slight_smile:

I figured out a little bit of the status bar. I want to put the currently selected Directory/Filename on the Left permanently and let the status message occupy. So, how to set justification and field size… there does not appear to be a way to do that explicitly other than addPermanentWidget which means it’s going to be right justified and will not get overwritten by any message text.

But. I want it on the left, and it to always be there. To be honest, the message text displayed otherwise is pretty useless. It’s displayed so fast anyway. If you want to see whats actually going on there you’ll probably want the log window open.

So my thought is to shorten all the current messages to what they are doing and then tack it over to the right with InfoStatus. That way the right side would be:

______________   ____________________________________________________________________    
Ready:       <   > Activity [Loading Cover Art]   27( )  42( ) 0( )  0 ( )  Listenting on Port 8000

Then on the left the message area will always be 'filename'

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________    
/Volume/Drive/Directory/Sub/Track.mp3              Activity [                 ]   27( )  42( ) 0( )  0 ( )  Listening on Port 8000

Then all the dynamic space could display the file/path information without interruption.

As for having it in metadatabox - … where is it keeping the ~variables besides ~length from showing there?
56 AM
I can select Length in the Top Tags, but not ~filename, ~dirname or any others.

I added a ~filesize and I can’t get that to display in metadatabox either.

The only ~variable that works in that list is Length.
28 AM

While PICARD-1481 suggests to separate the two on the status line, this would accomplish nearly same thing if they were visible in the metadatabox area. Or redo the Status Bar text as I proposed above since those dynamic messages are pretty useless for actually reading them at the speed they change :slight_smile:

If the issue I’m referring to above can be worked out, this is practically accomplished. The ~variables other than ~length can’t be selected in the config for Top Tags.

…and in theory, since ~length is hard coded in the original list of tags to show on top anyway… that’s probably why it works.

But if we can get the others in there…

…and put a solid line / separator or some kind after the Top Tags in the list, to where “the rest of them in alphabetical order begin”…