Disable browser autocomplete for tags on release pages

Hey all!

Maybe I am overlooking a setting or something silly but one thing has always really bothered me about the tag input field on release pages. It has an amazing autocomplete built-in but my browser (Firefox) starts suggesting already inputted data right as I start typing, blocking the MusicBrainz suggestions from view. I made a simple one-liner userscript and figured I’d share it in case anyone else is having the same issue:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Stop browser auto-fill in MusicBrainz tag box
// @version      0.1
// @description  One-liner to stop the browser auto-fill in the MusicBrainz tag box.
// @author       RetroPunk
// @include      http*://*musicbrainz.org/release*
// @run-at       document-end
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';
    document.getElementById('tag-form').children[0].getElementsByTagName('input')[0].setAttribute('autocomplete', 'off');
})();

I know it’s so simple but after just ignoring the issue for years I finally did this in 2 minutes and I feel so much less frustration on the edit pages now.

4 Likes

I use Chrome, and I have a similar problem: the address auto-complete feature constantly wants to put in my home address in any Area fields when I edit an entity. I wish there was some way to blacklist that feature by domain or somesuch… :confused:

2 Likes

For some reason this script doesn’t seem to work reliably on Firefox (85.0) when used with Violentmonkey (2.12.9.2).
Tried disabling all extensions and scripts besides those two. But even then it only worked after restarting Firefox.
Simply reloading the page led to it non-working. Didn’t notice any hints in console either. :thinking:

Curiously in Chrome it always works.

Tampermonkey also has no troubles on Firefox.

Could you send me a link to where this is happening? I can take a look.

Sorry I’ve never used Violentmonkey.

Using document-idle rather than document-end seems to do the trick for Violentmonkey.
Thanks to @jesus2099 for the hint about run-at

Although, it’s possible even that can be too early

Happens when you add or edit a release. Probably because of id="name":

1 Like

@RetroPunk, I didn’t know there was an MBS completion list on tags. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@chaban, the first version worked for me when I tested it on Firefox ESR (don’t remember version but less than yours) and Violent monkey.

But some pages are long to load and this script wants to modify a sidebar element, which is the last to load.

Sometimes, scripts have to check for availability of element before trying to modify it.

1 Like

Erh, I don’t understand.
This is a script to change the tag input field, in the sidebar.

When you add or edit a release, there is no sidebar, it is not the type when you will edit release tags.

:thinking:

This is something I’ve been meaning to do for a while! @RetroPunk, would you be OK if I added a userscript based on this to my GitHub repo? I’ll credit you as the author.

As per @jesus2099’s comment some additional code will be needed to check for the availability of the tag-input element before setting the autocomplete attribute.

2 Likes

Of course, go ahead :slight_smile:

The script should run when the DOM is finished loading because of the // @run-at document-end directive but further checks can’t hurt!

1 Like

This looks like a pretty straight forward and simple fix, wouldn’t it be easier to submit a fix for this for musicbrainz-server directly?

2 Likes

I would be happy to take a look at doing that but it’s definitely not easier. This is an immediate quick fix.

Exactly. Yes.

I thought of doing that but slightly prefer my own browser autocomplete, as I don’t tag genres but personal tags.

MBS autocomplete is based on genre list.

3 Likes

Exactly my thought, in most cases I would rather like to have a userscript that stops the MB genre suggestions when I am using the browser’s autocomplete suggestions for my personal tags :grin:

3 Likes

It’s enabled intentionally:

I don’t think you’ll ever get a consensus on this to be honest. It seems like some people want the browser autocomplete and not the server autocomplete, whereas I’m the opposite. So a userscript is probably the best way to go.

3 Likes

Hopefully this will keep everyone happy!

3 Likes

Do you mean tags on audio files? Or somewhere else on MB? Curious what you mean. :slight_smile:

I mean tag MB entities on the website, with the sidebar tag form.
Like the OP. :wink:

Wow I didn’t know you could do personal tags like that. So if the tag isn’t in the MB list of approved tags it gets added as a personal tag?

1 Like