Difficulties running 2.3 alpha

I’m trying to test out v2.3.0a1 in order to make a compatible version of the Classical Extras plugin. I am running it from the source (tagger.py). Initially I get an error message

The procedure entry point OPENSSL_sk_new_reserve could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files\Python37\lib\site-packages\PyQt5\Qt\bin\lib\libssl-1_1-x64.dll.

After dismissing this, Picard will run, but I get the following error

webservice._handle_reply:386: Network request error for https://picard.musicbrainz.org:443/api/v2/plugins/: TLS initialization failed (QT code 99, HTTP code 0)

The plugins list is not populated (other than those installed locally) and any lookup attempts just hang (with a “webservice._handle_reply:386: Network request error”). I had it running last week and am not aware that I made any changes (other than a change of my physical location and related network connection). My recollection is that I was getting the first (OPENSSL) error message then, but that Picard was running normally.

I have an earlier version (2.2.1) running correctly.

This is some issue with loading the SSL library bundled with Qt. The request issue is then just a consequence of this (basically there is not HTTPS support then).

I can’t reproduce this here, but I would first attempt to update (or eventually downgrade) PyQt. Which version is this? Maybe just try a `pip install --upgrade PyQt5" first

Thanks @outsidecontext
Upgraded from 5.13.2 to 5.14.0, but the problem persisted. Downgraded to 5.11.2 and everything seems to work.
I’ll now try and get to work on the plugin :sweat_smile:
One issue I noticed with the new Picard ui is that, for the “dict - type” content, the value boxes do not wrap the text - see the comment tags in the pic:

1 Like

Interesting screenshot. Also that it increases the column height looks strange, it should only do this if the lines are filled. Probably height calculation assumes the content would be wrapped, but it isn’t. I’ll look into it, looks like a big in the new support for multiline display of comment and lyrics tags.

Thanks for reporting, I’ll look into it.

It may be that the value box has an absolute maximum height. If the (wrapped) text does not fit into this, it is displayed as a single line. This behaviour is evident if you resize the width of a (smaller) wrapped text value such that the text no longer fits into the given height (but this is fixed by re-selecting the track, when the height will adjust). Ideally the height of the boxes would be adjustable.

EDIT: Further thought: If Picard collapses the value to a single line because the box is not tall enough, then it should also collapse the box?

1 Like