Composer (and other values) not retrieved

I am sure I am overlooking something, but I don’t know what.
For this release, Picard isn’t retrieving the composer:

Yet the composer seems populated on MusicBrainz:

(release- and track- relationships are both checked)

This is one of those huge releases where MB skips including all the relationships in the server response. See also this thread:

There is currently no proper workaround for this.

1 Like

Thanks. If it’s difficult or not possible to solve, could perhaps some notification get shown when Picard for this reason doesn’t retrieve all available data for a release?

1 Like

Picard doesn’t really know then whether this data was omitted by the server or just doesn’t exist. But maybe the warning could be shown based on number of discs or tracks. Need to check which conditions the MB server applies here.

2 Likes

I think that would be useful. For large box-sets that are comprised of original albums you could then choose to run the original individual albums through Picard so to get all the data.

1 Like

I like this idea very much:

Also when Picard detects such a situation it could offer the option to load the relationships one by one per recording. This would take quite a while with the 1 second per request limit, but if we inform the user about this they can choose to do this anyway.

It’s not the dream solution we all want (which is of course just have this data available by default with zero performance impact :slight_smile: ), but nevertheless it would be a rather clean workaround which does not leave one stuck without solution.

8 Likes

You know you are amazing, right?

3 Likes

Wait with this until there is something working :smiley:

Actually I have started looking into this. My first idea is to create a plugin, because this allows me to quickly test out my idea and deliver something usable.

Basic stuff is actually working, it allows reloading all recordings and update relationships more or less (rather less at the moment). Turns out the details are quite tricky, because one would expect the same result as if normally loaded. That means plugins and scripts should run.

Currently low on time, but I’ll report back when I have something that is not a debugging mess and actually usable.

2 Likes

Nope, I won’t wait.

When I finally joined MusicBrainz/Picard after some earlier failed attempts because I am stupid, Picard was not having much of a pulse in the sense of progress, development, and especially developers’ responses.
I got the impression that most developers were probably on some desert island, in an ivory tower, or had some social/communication issues.
Or were just not interested in the opinions and wishes of ‘normal’ users.

To me you are the single person that changed that and gave me the confidence to try and contribute in the limits of my restricted capabilities.
No. I am lying, you and @rdswift did that.

Surely each and everyone else working on MusicBrainz and Picard is great and essential, but to me the two of you are rather unique in the sense that you additionally listen and communicate here.

hats off

6 Likes

Thanks a lot, these words very seriously mean a lot to me. I am amazed myself that it soon will be three years since I have been active in the Picard development again (after years of mostly idle watching the project). I really love Picard, and I love the MB community. Over the last years I have been trying to keep the momentum Picard’s development had with the 2.0 release. But I can say with confidence that I would not have kept this up without @zas, who is always reviewing all code changes and available for any discussion. And @rdswift has brought a lot to the project as well.

In general development is much more fun with active feedback and discussion. It can sometimes be pretty draining as well, though, and kind words like yours do a lot here :slight_smile:

Picard’s development “team” has always been a bit special. It always was a rather loose thing, with development primarily driven by one or two people who happened to be the most active at the time. People were jumping on and off. If I think of the “Picard team” I think of the people who contributed to Picard over a longer period of time and even if they are not as active as they had been they often are still occasionally doing one or another patch or leave review comments on code changes. These include, among others and in no particular order, @lukz, @mineo, @Bitmap, @zas, @Sophist, @samj1912, @rdswift and myself. Many more have contributed and do contribute to Picard.

5 Likes

I really don’t think that I should be mentioned in the same list as the others you have mentioned. My contributions have been minor and sporadic by comparison to all the others.

But I do think that MusicBrainz and Picard are both, in different ways, excellent examples of the power of open source. And I am glad that my own small contributions have helped them both along.

1 Like

Don’t sell yourself short. I got my start in developing Picard plugins by examining the code from some of the ones you had released. I still refer to your examples when trying to troubleshoot or optimize something I’m working on. You, @outsidecontext and @Zas are my main go-to team for help and advice on anything Picard related. Thanks, guys.

2 Likes

That is true - I am quite pleased with some of my code (i.e. album artist website) - but that is matched by other code which is truly awful (e.g. abbreviate artist sort - please, please don’t use this as the basis for any other plugin!!).

As for @rdswift, documentation is IMO often the weakest part of open source software - and Bob has single-handedly moved Picard to a position of excellence.

But enough of this mutual back-patting - back to work the lot of you!!! :wink:

4 Likes

I’m sure that’s true.
But from my not-a-coder perspective, the community-driven aspect is at least as important.
And I have often felt that lacking in the pre-outsidecontext era :wink:

1 Like

I meant “open source” in the broadest sense, including the crowd sourcing of music data.

2 Likes

I realize I’m necro-posting, but I wanted to ask about this in relation to small releases, e.g.

Most of these tracks have a Work associated, but Picard doesn’t pick up the Composer, leaving me without those tags despite my wanting them.

What am I missing?

Make sure you have using track and release relationships enabled in Options > Metadata.

That’s unrelated to the above thread, which is specifically about large releases with over 100 tracks.

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s been enabled all this time:

And… I just tried to tag them again and now they’re grabbing Composers?! :man_shrugging: