Classical style question (tidying up collection by Anthony Holborne)

I’ve been tidying up the works of Anthony Holborne, especially the collection Pavans, Galliards, Almains, and other Short Aeirs.

I’d like to standardise names of the works in this collection. I plan to follow the names in the first edition (see index at end), although I’ll convert the ‘u’ characters to ‘v’ (‘Pauan’ > ‘Pavan’) and the long s characters to ‘s’.

It seems a good idea to remove ‘Pavans, Galliards, Almains, and other Short Aeirs’ from the title of each individual work. The CSG says the following, which seems to support this approach:

Sometimes works are published in “collections”. This is common for songs and shorter instrumental pieces, but can also happen with larger works like piano sonatas. These works can be interesting to have as “containers”, but should not be treated as a main work with parts (for instance regarding Recording titles).

Where the title is the generic ‘Pavan’, ‘Galliard’ or ‘Almain’, for example, I could add a disambiguation comment e.g. ‘Pavans, Galliards, Almains, and other Short Aeirs no. 3’.

Does this sound like a good approach? I’d welcome feedback, especially from @reosarevok.

Seems reasonably sensible to me :slight_smile:

1 Like