Classical Extras 2.0

A special advice for users of Classical Extras who want to update to Picard 2.2:

1. If you have not yet installed Picard 2.2, please open the Options > Plugins and update the Classical Extras plugin. The version should be 2.0.6 or later. After you have updated Classical Extras you can safely update to Picard 2.2.

2. If you have already installed Picard 2.2 you will be unable to open the options dialog if Classical Extras < 2.0.6 is installed. In this case follow the instructions in the following post to manually upgrade Classical Extras.

5 Likes

Quick side note: If you don’t see an upgrade button for Classical Extras, click the “Reload List of Plugins” to the bottom-right of the plugin list. That should make the upgrade button appear.

3 Likes

TypeError: string indices must be integers?
Hi, am new to Picard (running 2.2.1 on a Mac) and Classical Extras (great plugin - installed v2.0.6 from within Picard). When I tag albums I get lots of errors that appear like the one below - all apparently referring to the same line of code.

Am I doing something stupid or is this a known bug? Many thanks!

"Traceback (most recent call last):
File “picard/album.py”, line 404, in _finalize_loading_track
File “picard/metadata.py”, line 409, in run_track_metadata_processors
File “picard/plugin.py”, line 219, in run
File “/Users/psollich/Library/Preferences/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/classical_extras.zip/classical_extras/init.py”, line 4138, in add_work_info
self.ERROR = options[“log_error”]
TypeError: string indices must be integers

I think this error may have been introduced by the new options code in v2.0.6. I will take a look. Perhaps @outsidecontext can help as well?

Please note that the error reported above causes Classical Extras to fail in adding all the extra metadata, so do not use it until a fix is reported.

It looks like something changed in Picard 2.2 which has the effect of stripping all dictionaries saved as metadata - just saving a list of the keys with no values. This is fundamental to the operation of Classical Extras. I recommend that Classical Extras users do not upgrade to Picard 2.2. until this is fixed.

1 Like

I’m about to install an older version of Picard to try out CE. Do you recommend going as far back as 2.0?

No. As mentioned above CE is not compatible with Picard 2.2, you should use the latest version before that which is 2.1.3

Ah, ok, thanks. I was confused by MetaTunes reply to you a bit further up noting that the error was introduced with v2.0.6.

Hi. I’m looking to use Classical Extras to add composition dates to my classical collection, but I can’t seem to use the work_year (from the Genre’s etc. tab under Periods and dates) in my scripts to add this to other fields. This is my first venture into scripting Picard, so it’s entirely possible that’s what’s not working; any input appreciated!

$if($startswith(%genre%,"Classical"),
  # Year <- Classical Extras
  $set(date,$if2(%work_year%,%originaldate%))
)

This script does populate the MusicBrainz original recording date into the date field, so I know that’s working.

I believe that should work.
If you do a simple test using only this script:

$set(atest,%work_year%)

And disable all other scripts and plugins, does it write the ‘atest’ tag properly?
And, did you make sure you are using Picard 2.1.3 or older?

Downgrading to 2.1.3 worked; hadn’t read back up the thread. Thanks.

I will try and find time later this month to update the plugin :sweat_smile:
Edit: failed in that objective as my new pc build went awry owing to a faulty graphics card. Hopefully will get that fixed shortly and start work on this in early January.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Enjoy the December month without being distracted by computer graphics :wink:

Just starting to take a look again at the issue of Classical Extras not running properly under Picard 2.2.x, now that I have a working PC. On first inspection, it seems that most of the problems have gone away in Picard 2.3.0a1 - any clues @outsidecontext? I’ll look into it more fully next week. Until then, belated seasonal greetings to all Classical Extras users.

Hi, I’m new to Classical Extra and this is also my first post to this Community.
First of all many compliments for this plugin: I have some knowledge of programming and I can really appreciate all your effort and your passion.

I’m tagging some Karl Richter’s releases of Bach’s Canatatas, currently I’m on “Bach Cantatas Vol. 1: Avent und Weihnachten” (MBID 1746c566-3b05-4acb-a9e3-0b85dfbb81aa)

The problem is that I would get all the performers’ relationships with the standard names of their instrument, instead for some reasons I get only the credited name of the instrument. In example, I would get “performer: Karl Kolbinger (bassoon)” while I always get “performer: Karl Kolbinger (Fagott)”

I tried several combinations of CE parameters but no luck. Can you please point me on the right direction ?

That’s probably unrelated to the plugin. Have you checked Options > Metadata > Use standardized instrument and vocal credits ?

If not, check that option and try reloading the data.

I think it may be a plugin issue - I’m looking into it.

1 Like

On the “Artists” tab, in the “Other artist options” section, deselect the box labelled “Use ‘credited-as’ name for instrument” :wink:

1 Like

Of course! As usual I should read all the documentation, sorry.
Deselected “Use ‘credited-as’ name for instrument” and now it works, thanks